GULF 93 : our TOYOs seem to get better m.p.g.s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it SEEMS possible, but not likely. There are so many variables involved, it's almost impossible to prove.

I'm not saying that it's not true, just that the fact that it SEEMS that you get better MPG is hardly proof positive.

when use SUNOCO 93 the mileage drops by about 2 m.p.g.. This has ethanol . The GULF is bought when out of town , none for a 60 mile radius of our area :- (.

Gulf isn't a real oil company, just a marketer. Cumberland Farms bought the Gulf trademark years ago. It's pretty much a generic unleaded.

Dosn/t GULF gas have a similar additive pack like shell does? (something) 21, its called? Its put in all their grades of gas, and is suposed to be a technological additive to help control or stop deposit formation.

The octane rating is the average of two ratings, the "motor" octane rating and the "research" octane rating. Different engines prefer more of one or more of the other, although the average number is the same. Different gasolines from different refiners may have more of one rating and less of the other, with the same average number. You seem to have found what your engines like.

Even a non-refining marketer of gasoline may have a long term contract with a certain refiner, thus have the same product for long periods of time. This Gulf gasoline, by whomever refines it, seems to be good for your engines.

Do your engines really benefit from the high priced 93 octane gasoline? High octane gasoline is not better than low octane, it just has more resistance to preignition. If 87 octane runs well in the engines, figure your actual fuel cost per mile and see which gives you the lowest cost per mile. It is a very small number of engines that actually need high octane gasoline, except to produce that last 5% or whatever of max power.

wouldn't 93 octane help the gas that has ethanol burn slower ? Therefore , better mileage . Seems like 87 ethanol based gas burns quicker . Thus the complaints of less miles per gallon . The difference of 20 cents more per gallon for 93 octane isn't so bad . Our TOYOs have an 11.1 gallon tank , so not a hard hit on the wallet during fillups .

If the research I just did is correct,Then Gulf gasoline is a Chevron product? If this is the case,I`ll start using it myself.
grin2.gif
Sorry,I`m wrong.Looks like BP bought them in 1985.Still,I like BP,so I might give them a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
If the research I just did is correct,Then Gulf gasoline is a Chevron product? If this is the case,I`ll start using it myself.
grin2.gif
Sorry,I`m wrong.Looks like BP bought them in 1985.Still,I like BP,so I might give them a try.

Gulf is NOT a Chevron or BP product. Cumberland Farms bought the rights to the Gulf trademark only. Gulf buys generic product from many different companies depending on price, availability and their terminal locations. Gulf's "Advent 21" detergent probably is a "meets EPA standards" level of detergency. They would not reply to my email several months ago.

FWIW, since Cumberland Farms bought/converted many Exxon stations in the north-east (due to the Exxon-Mobil merger, anti-trust provisions of the EM deal), Gulf is all over the place now. I have not been overly impressed with their product compared to BP or Shell, since all three are about the same price near me.

I know Gulf in Harrisburg area is from Shipley Energy, I talked to the fuel tanker guy one day and told me it had ethanol in it, even though it is not marked on the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back