FRAM Filters on B-24A Radial engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good enough to use in the Air
34.gif

Sroll down
cheers3.gif

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9395&start=2970

Yea, Check out that orange hose second to the left from the filter. Thats what I want on my system. If FRAM says thet filter will work, then that filter will work. I will last longer than that hose.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
Yea, Check out that orange hose second to the left from the filter. Thats what I want on my system. If FRAM says thet filter will work, then that filter will work. I will last longer than that hose.

are you talking about the buldge you see on the hose? the orange part of the hose is just a silicone fire sleeve over a high pressure steel braided, probably teflon lined, hydralic hose. If you look closely all of the hoses are wrinkled, it has nothing to do with structure/strength.

For those of you interested in what engine is in the pics here are some specs on the P&W "Twin Wasp" R1830:
1830 cubic inches
14 cyl, 2 banks of 7
1200 HP
Supercharged

Well, I'd like to see any Fram filter spec'd for any contemporary aircraft that came equipped with a filter. I assure you that no Fram carries any FAA approval. For that matter, I don't think any of our filter mans (WIX, etc.) are into this market.

Yikes!

Does anyone know what oil pressure, temperature, and flow rate those engines run at?

IMO, those fellows need to install a proper industrial/aero oil filter. Using any automotive unit should cause concern. Unless the operating stresses are VERY low, installing a $3 POS Fram on your $100,000+ warbird is insane.

Last edited:
I agree. what about the 80 wt. oil ? Will it flow through through the filter? In the mid 60s as an aircraft engine mech. I cleaned many front and rear oil screens on R3350 recepts. Their
only purpose was to capture possible metal contaminaton. This was done every 30 flight hours to stay on top of any internal engine prblem.

There is no way to safety wire the filter, on that alone I don't believe it would be airworthy. I would assume it is only on there for build-up and maybe first runs on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back