5W-20 in a snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using a 5W-20 synthetic oil in a snowblower in temps that range from 25*F into single digits?

If so what is the "warmest weather" it was used in?

How much warmer than 25 degrees do you need to use a snowblower in? I would stick with the mfg recommendations. I'd be more concerned with the running visc than the outside temp...

I use PP 5W30 and it gets down to -35F here. Remember, this engine in an air-cooled engine many of the parts get localized heating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
... Remember, this engine in an air-cooled engine many of the parts get localized heating.

I agree. You don't want anything less that a 30wt in there... Go with a 0w30 or 5w30.

I use Amsoil 4 Stroke 10w30 and my snow blower starts very easy in temperatures well below yours and the oil stays clean for a long time.

grin2.gif

I used 5W30 until this season when I switched to 0W30. Most of the small 4 cycle 1 cyl. engines I've seen call for a 5W30 oil.

My snow blower calls for a 5w30, but I have 10w30 synthetic in there which flows much better than the FF dino 5w30 did.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I was surprised on how well Napa's 10w30 flows near to 0. How much is that Amsoil 4 stroke stuff?

Would be a different price for me versus you, because I pay in CDN dollars...

I think it's about $10 US. Check with one of the site sponsors to see what kind of price they can do for you and you will be supporting them as well!
wink.gif

We have a snowblower in our family from the 60's.

The B&S engine has a sticker on it saying that 5w20 is recommended. Did they even have this oil grade back then? I believe it is the original engine.

Strange.

Last edited:
IIRC I read somewhere on this board that 5w20 has been around for a long time, at least since the 60's.

I also have the B&S 5w20 weight reccomendation. Weird. They want straight 30 weight if operated above freezing. Hello? It's a snowblower!!!

Typically the coldest winter weather does not bring snow, it has to be at least 10'F where I live to have enough drama to precipitate.

Doing fine with valvo syn 5w30. Like everyone else, I run the thing at max power all the time. Get the muffler glowing cherry red.

My 1978 briggs generator says to cut the oil, I forget what grade, with 10% kerosene when it gets real cold. Hmm... no!

I just bought a nice clean old John Deere 1032 (Ariens) and plan to do an oil change despite the previous owner telling me he did it , I know it is not syn.

I plan to put in some Amsoil HDD 0W30 sounds like its quite the stout oil from what I have read , and the local Carquest has the stuff on the shelf!

As for cutting oil with Kerosene, my landlord has driven big rigs in the Northern Canada on the ice roads and such and just recently told me of how him and the boys up there would always thin gear oil and kerosene, I am not sure about engine oil.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back