Switching from Mobil 1 5W30 to Valvoline Synpower 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Mobil 1 5W30 for the past 25,000 miles in my 2004 Impreza WRX. I noticed that it would burn ~1 qt every 3000 miles. I decided to switch to Valvoline Synpower since I've read that Mobil 1 is on the thinner side of a 5W30. My question is would there be any issues switching from Mobil 1 which is a Group IV to Valvoline synpower which I believe is a group III synthetic?

[ May 30, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Qwikrex ]

Did you try using the M1 10w-30? Less volatile but still a "thin" 30wt oil.

What is a great synthetic oil that is less volatile and thin than Mobil One 5/30 and 10/30.

I use 5/30 in the winter and 10/30 weight oils in my VTEC Acura Integra but I don't want to go with Mobil one because I have heard this motor burns it like crazy. Same situation as the poster.

Viscosity for the M1 5w30 per their data sheet is approximately 11.3. The M1 10w30 is around 10. The Valvoline Synpower is 10.5 for the 5W30. Looks like you're going the wrong direction.

quote:

Originally posted by OCB:
What is a great synthetic oil that is less volatile and thin than Mobil One 5/30 and 10/30.

M1 EP is a little thicker. GC would work very well. The Pennzoil Platinum European formula looks to be one of the best 5W-30's around, at least viscosity wise, if you can find it.

M1 5W-40 or Rotella T 5W-40 would work very well also, especially in Florida. Don't let the 40 scare you off, the 5W means they're not too thick, even well below 0°F.

I've been running Mobil 1 5W30 for the past 25,000 miles in my 2004 Impreza WRX. I noticed that it would burn ~1 qt every 3000 miles. I decided to switch to Valvoline Synpower since I've read that Mobil 1 is on the thinner side of a 5W30.

Whoever told you it's thin lied to you. How many OCIs in your 25K with Mobil-1?... mine has three OCIs every 25K! Do you mostly drive left-lane highway? Your answers could explain why you're using oil.

You should consider a little thicker oil for your hot climate. Even a half-bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment to your next oil change will improve performance & lessen oil burning. Piles of moly in that oil treatment. I just put 3K in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains & used zero oil using 5-qts Mobil-1 5W-30 with 1-qt Mobil-1 15W-50 and a half-bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.

[ May 30, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Viscosity for the M1 5w30 per their data sheet is approximately 11.3. The M1 10w30 is around 10. The Valvoline Synpower is 10.5 for the 5W30. Looks like you're going the wrong direction.

Farrarfan1: Are those the viscosities of the regular M1 or the EP. Was the vis.of the older SL Supersyn different?

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Well you are in Florida. Just thicken it up with maybe a 20 to 30% 15W-50 Mobil 1??

I completely agree! Mix 1qt of M1 15w-50 with M1 10w-30. Maybe even 2qts of the 15w-50 product and the remainder M1 10w-30.

As was mentioned before, driving habits will trumph any oil suggestions we give...

Hello:

I am currently using Synpower 5w-30 in my girlfriends 2.7L (getting a rep as a sludger engine) Sebring. Have had dino runs until i tried Esso Superflo synth and now the Valvoline Synpower. For what its worth I figured a reasonably priced groupIII oil such as the snypower would be more cost effective as I have to drain it more often due to the engines rep. So far the sypnower in 2000+ miles has not burned a drop! where as the dino and Esso synpower would need a little topping up. In all fairness the esso needed to be topped up after a continious 15 hour drive. Also notted using the synpower that the car is not as quiet as with the other oils, however it is not obnoxiously loud either. Oil on the dipstick is just starting to darken it up a bit. So that is all I can tell you about my experience with synpower. After it hits 3k and I drain it, unless i get some more info on mobil clean 7500 or possibly motorcraft I will give this oil another consideration as a replacement fill.

I hope this was of some benefit

if youy have a turbo car with high power density, you need an ACEA A3 rating for this very reason.

Go find one and report back... accept no substitutes.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:

quote:

Farrarfan1: Are those the viscosities of the regular M1 or the EP. Was the vis.of the older SL Supersyn different?

QUOTE]Originally posted by pbm:

quote:

[/QUOTE]

That is for the SM GF-4.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

Wasn't the GF-3 M1 5w-30 thin? According to that the GF-4 looks like it's thickened up a bit...nice.
grin.gif

Your motor consuming oil probably has less to do w/ the oil and more to do with inproper motor break-in.

Not to be rude, but how many full throtle launches with 4000 rpm clutch drops did you preform during the break in period?

For the break in period I followed Subaru's recommendation and kept it under 4000 RPM for the first 1000 miles, and no launches whatsoever.

Back to the initial question. Any known issues when switching between different brand synthetics? More specifically, switching from a group IV to Group III synthetic?

[ May 31, 2005, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Qwikrex ]

There will be no problem with switching. The Valvoline Maxlife synthetic might be better for your application than Synpower. It is ACEA A3/B3/B4 rated. You might want to consider that product if going to Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back