CJ-4 vs CI-4+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 TDT seems to be coming back to the shelves here and I'm wondering if there's any advantage for me to ante up for CJ4 or get the sale priced CI4+?
VW Jetta '02

From what I have seen in UOA, they both work well. The CI4+ has been around longer with a longer track record in more vehicles with more UOA's. There is some talk of TDT being a lower grade of CJ4 than the Delvac 1 found in gallons at truck stops, not to mention, a very big difference in gallon price between the two. Previously these were both formulated the same.

So, my choice would be the CI4+ if my vehicle did not require CJ4. Especially if I could get it cheaper.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
From what I have seen in UOA, they both work well. The CI4+ has been around longer with a longer track record in more vehicles with more UOA's. There is some talk of TDT being a lower grade of CJ4 than the Delvac 1 found in gallons at truck stops, not to mention, a very big difference in gallon price between the two. Previously these were both formulated the same.

So, my choice would be the CI4+ if my vehicle did not require CJ4. Especially if I could get it cheaper.

I'm curious where you heard that from...previously TDT and Delvac 1 were the same, it's odd why Mobil would change it?

Just cur

Several here on bitog have corresponded with Mobil and the answer has been that they are now different formulations with the change to CJ-4. The gallon price at O'Reillys here is about 26 or 27 dollars, but D1 has been mostly seen at $35/gal. at truck stops and Mobil distributors, if found at all right now.

If I could find the CI-4+ formulation of TDT for a sale price, I'd buy all I could. Or at least all I would be likely to use in the next few years.

I do not know if the CI-4+ or the CJ-4 version is the best.... I'm running the CJ-4 version now but have not done any used-oil testing so far.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
If I could find the CI-4+ formulation of TDT for a sale price, I'd buy all I could. Or at least all I would be likely to use in the next few years.

I do not know if the CI-4+ or the CJ-4 version is the best.... I'm running the CJ-4 version now but have not done any used-oil testing so far.

Wally in Canada still sells the TDT (CI4+) in 5 liter jugs for about 41 bucks right now...every wal mart I've been to in a couple of provinces is still selling it. If you're close to the border, it's an option. Depends on how close you are to Canada I guess.
The CI4+ version of TDT...is that the same as the CI4+ version of Delvac 1? Were they both PAO formulas?

Last edited:
If my vehicle didn't have to have CJ, I'd run CI-4-CJ oils have lowered additive levels to protect the soot trap-if it's cheaper/on sale, that'd be a WIN-WIN in my book!!

The CJ-4 oils seem to be doing just as well as the CI-4+ oils in most applications, maybe even a bit better in some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back