Now Castrol Magnatec is 5 X better than something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...release the hounds.

I spent an evening dinner with an ex Castrol engineer not long after magnatec came out in Oz.

He was working on the magnatec project, and was witness to a lot of their testing.

Take test engine, use flushing oil. Use baseline oil (M1 15W-50). Use flushing oil. Use test oil. Use flushing oil. Use baseline oil.

The plan was to bracket the test oil between two runs of M1, with a flush between them.

Magnatec improved both the flushing oil AND the backboard test oil

Originally Posted By: Shannow
LOL...release the hounds.

I spent an evening dinner with an ex Castrol engineer not long after magnatec came out in Oz.

He was working on the magnatec project, and was witness to a lot of their testing.

Take test engine, use flushing oil. Use baseline oil (M1 15W-50). Use flushing oil. Use test oil. Use flushing oil. Use baseline oil.

The plan was to bracket the test oil between two runs of M1, with a flush between them.

Magnatec improved both the flushing oil AND the backboard test oil

you lost me.. what does that mean? is it good or bad?

I used magnatec on my very first own oil change when I had my hyundai getz. It seemed to work fine. I wouldn't mind using magantec, if they had it in 10w-30. 10w-40 should be fine though?

IMO, the concept is great.

Only used the "dino" 10W-40 once. Used the 5W-40 SP for a while and liked it until it became as Xy as Delvac 1.

They've got other weights (5W-30 included), just need to buy in 20L mins.

20L doesn't work for me - it's be standing opened for 2 years. maybe I'll try it next time. I've got 10 L of valvoline to work through first - 1 year's supply

lol......Mobil 1 ? They do say synth blend's if i can recall. Using Magnatec contradicts some advice i have gotten on here and is common with alot of our Oz oils, most would not use a Group 1 oil with the 10% or so of gp3. Magnetec has some ester as well. The Diesel Magnatec seems good, bust nearly exact specs tbn etc apart from different viscosity. I wonder if its all the same.....i think its even just CF rated for a Diesel....

If Magnatec is this good, how good is Edge then......really got me wondering now as i have never used these oils,,,,,
21.gif

Last edited:
"I heard that is not good for older engines because the metal filling from wear and tear tend to stick to the Magnatec instead of leave it in the bottom of the sump. Therefore causing more damage to the engines internals. Whether this is true or not ? "

I could not help post this from another forum a few years old now in reply to a Magnatec question even though its wrong and funny, still honest in his answer.......

RE who the competitor was... I made no insinuation as to whether it could be M1 - that came from you

The whole thing also does not mean magnatec is the best. there could be better ones in the syn blend group.

personally i think Australia is WAY behind appropriate viscosities. the mentality that thicker is better is well alive in aus.

crinkles, 20 years ago, 20W-50 and a can of STP was the norm.

Shell came out with a 15W-30 XMO (in hindsight, a good thing), got trashed for "destroying engines", and their 20W-40 was then called into question, as 20W-50 was the Oz viscosity.

As a follow on, Penrite, STP, Lucas came in offering even more "robust" oils in 20W-60, 20W-70, 25W-70, 30W-70, and 40W-70 to meet "demanding" conditions.

We are coming back from that thick pendulum swing, rather than the US economy swing. Europe in still somewhere around 40, maybe telling where the bottom of the swing will/should be.

The competition is always looking to exploit a weakness in a competitors product. It looks like Castrol could be using a similar additive package that Valvoline is using. I think both use Lubrizol and this new low volatile ZDP. Notice Valvoline mentiones the P retention test. The last 25 hours of the Seq IVA wear test Mobil bombed. A lot of what makes an oil good are the additives.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
RE who the competitor was... I made no insinuation as to whether it could be M1 - that came from you

The whole thing also does not mean magnatec is the best. there could be better ones in the syn blend group.

personally i think Australia is WAY behind appropriate viscosities. the mentality that thicker is better is well alive in aus.

Sorry Crinkles, i was only kidding about the Mobil 1. Yeah in relation to the Synth blends, there are heaps around...

Frank warned against esters in the host oil competing for the metal surface with the additive.

Makes some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back