V-Power 93 versus Shell 87 in 2007 Civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Shell V-Power 93 since the first time I filled up the tank in my then brand new 2007 Civic LX. The owners manual states that I may use "87 octane or higher" fuel. With this in mind, I decided to use V-Power 93 for the extra detergent additives. I have added ~4 ounces of Lucas UCL to each tank of fuel without fail. Additionally, I add one 15 ounce bottle of Red Line SI-1 to the tank of fuel used before every other oil change, which works out to once per year (6 month OCI due to low mileage).

I recently talked to the Superintendent of the Lab at the oil refinery where I work to get his take on using 93 octane fuel in an engine designed for 87 octane fuel. He told me that he had seen carbon buildup in engines that were designed for 87 octane fuel, but had been operated using 93 octane fuel instead. I found this hard to believe, but accepted his challenge to try 87 octane fuel.

Long story short, my engine seems to run a little smoother using 87 octane fuel. My fuel economy did fall by ~1/2 mpg, but this may be due to winter blend gasoline. There was also a slight loss of horsepower, but it is barely perceptible and may also be related to winter blend gasoline.

I have found that adding Lucas UCL to 87 octane fuel does not seem to make much of a difference in my application. In fact, adding Lucas UCL to 87 octane fuel actually seems to make my engine idle a little rougher. For reference, Lucas UCL made my engine idle smoother and reach speed with less effort when I used V-Power 93 octane fuel.

Bottom Line:

Shell 87 octane gasoline seems to work better in my engine than V-Power 93 octane gasoline. Though fuel efficiency and horsepower has fallen by a negligible amount, this may be due in part to the higher C4 content found in winter blend gasoline. The jury is still out on Lucas UCL. I am currently on my 3rd tank of 100% Shell 87 octane gasoline. Perhaps I will add Lucas UCL to a few tanks of 87 octane fuel to see if my fuel economy improves.

Please keep in mind that the above is subjective and is based solely on my experience. I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions or feedback.

Yeah, if your car can use 87 might as well save some money. I used 87 in my Civic most of the time when I had it and it ran great for the time I had it. I just occasionally added fuel system cleaner, FP60, or 2 cycle oil.

With i-Vtec and computer ignition timing mapping, IMHO there's absolutely zero need for this recent generations of Honda cars to run on higher octane gas anymore.

My fit, with 10.3:1 compression ratio, was spec'ed to run on 87 octane gas. Tried running 91+ w/o any benefits or perceiveable performance improvements other than burning a bigger hole in my wallet. I'm now strictly on an 87 octane diet.

BTW: that oil refinery guy is beeAshing for higher octane gas does not contribute to more deposits. Afterall: he is just a superintendent of some kinda labs on that has no accountability (give us his real name and his background info, we'll hunt him down and hold him accountable for what he said). Anyone whose claimed higher octane gas would (a) burns slower or (b)because it burns slower/cooler, it leaves more deposits are, at best, another avg joe on the loose.

the development of octane (a quantitative value for the measurement on how "resistant" gasoline is to resist abnormal pre-ignition during compression phase)is mainly for (a) higher compression ratio gasoline engines, and (b) as car ages, compression increases. As now EFI computer controlled cars, their ignition timing is now dynamically mapped by computers and with knock sensor involved (to retard timing when it senses a hint of knock), gasoline engines can now run on lower octane gas w/o any detrimental effects.

My prediction is that over the next several decades, gasoline will ended up with only 1 grade (some kind of "common" grade similar to 87 octane rating) that works on all gasoline automobiles, including those with high compression ratio types due to dynamic, yet aggressive computer controlled ignition mapping.

Q.

I got a 2007 Civic EX (the DX, LX and EX have the same engine) and I always use 87 octane, but one day I wasn't paying attention and I accidentally pumped 93 octane while I was at BP. To be honest, I didn't notice any difference in performance or gas mileage between both octanes. I get 40+ MPG no matter the brand of the gas I put in it (BP, Shell, RaceTrac, Citgo... etc).

In my opinion, I suggest just using the least expensive 87 octane you can find and use an injector cleaner like Redline to keep things clean. I did this same routine with our old 1998 Civic EX and when we gave it away with 180K miles, it was getting over 40 MPG as it did when it was a new car (I did replace the O2 sensor with a Denso when the CEL turned on).

I also use Lucas UCL once in a while, but I would really like to know if it actually cleans at all ?
21.gif

What is UCL? When I put it in my 78 Grand Prix the car would stall at idle after it warmed up. Usually the car did the opposite. After the tank of UCL was gone everything went back to normal. I don't know if it was that particular tank of gas or the Lucas, but I'd like to know what the composition of this fuel treatment is.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
What is UCL? When I put it in my 78 Grand Prix the car would stall at idle after it warmed up. Usually the car did the opposite. After the tank of UCL was gone everything went back to normal. I don't know if it was that particular tank of gas or the Lucas, but I'd like to know what the composition of this fuel treatment is.

UCL= Upper Cylinder Lube

It is ok in small doses.
I would stick to running a quality fuel and useing a additive every once in a while. 5000-10000 miles if needed.

I imagine an engine runs best when it's as close to detonation as it can be without actually going over the edge into Knocksville. Good thing the R18A1 does it on the cheap stuff.

Its my understanding that higher octane fuel also burns longer and its more difficult to ignite hence the anti-knock quality. If you have an engine that does not have the compression to deal with a harder to burn fuel, I can definitely see where it would not run as well nor burn as complete hence leading to increase in carbon build up.

Old VW engines ( air cooled) were usually at 7:1 compression ratio and even for a carburetor vehicle that was considered low. 87 was the choice. 91 would just burn slower and not as well since the engine barely had the compression to utilize 87 let alone 91 or 93!

I tried V-Power in my wifes 2003 Corolla and did not see
a benefit. The fuels mileage actually was lower than with 87
89 gives 1/2 mile to the gallom more but is not woth the extra
cost. Try using MMO for an upper cylinder lube

I guess I am the odd man out.

I started running V-Power in my 95 Thunderbird and noticed that the engine ran much quieter and smoother. Also eliminated a bad ping in an 06 Escape.

I am not sure if it is the V-Power itself or the fact that stations around here have been known to water-down gas (especially last fall when it stayed $4.27 for two months after Ike).

Just a personal experience.

tropic said:
I imagine an engine runs best when it's as close to detonation as it can be without actually going over the edge into Knocksville. Good thing the R18A1 does it on the cheap stuff. [/quote

"an engine runs best when it's close to detonation"
That is what I was taught as well.

Update

I have run two more tanks of Shell 87 octane gasoline. While the engine seems to start quicker and idle smoother, I have noticed a 1.5 to 2 MPG drop in fuel efficiency (~23 MPG to ~20.5 MPG short trip, city driving). I stopped treating each tank with Lucas UCL when I began using 87 octane gasoline, which may partially explain the reduction in fuel efficiency. I will add Lucas UCL to the next 2-3 tanks to see if I can get back to ~23 MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back