Fuel Injector Cleaner how often and what brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys questions for you, I expect a few different answers.

How often do you use fuel injector cleaner?

And what brand do you prefer?

Good experiences, bad experiences. Anything you want to throw in here. I'm curious to what eveyone likes or dislikes.

Thanks in advance!

There is a very nice B12 Chemtool, which I KNOW works, because it comes in a METAL can, unlike the other stuff, which doesn't work, and comes in plastic. Anything that has to come in a metal can, must be strong stuff, and also, Chemtool is cheap, because there is no marketing - it just markets itself. I empty the one can of Chemtool, refill the can with pure Acetone (which also comes only in a metal can), and pour a can of Acetone into the fuel, as a chaser. My injectors come out sprarkly clean, and my engine runs perfect. Gas mileage has also gone way up. Also, the check engine light used to be on, but a few treatments of Chemtool with acetone chaser, and check engine light is off now, as well.
This only needs to be done either once every 2 or 3 year, or every 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
I used Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner and/or Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner once every two years just before smog check. A number of years ago I didn't use any Fuel System Cleaner and my '94 LS400 barely passed smog check, I used Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner before the next smog check and it passed with larger margin.

I use Amsoil PI once per year. It has completely unclogged an injector in my neon that was otherwise toast so I'm a believer now...

I also use FP-Plus year round in my gas to keep the injectors clean and lubricated.

I use a good FI cleaner in my Aerostar 2 tanks before an OC. I figure by the time the second tank is done (no FI cleaner) there is little to no residual FI cleaner to possibly mess with the fresh oil change. Then I add MMO to every tankful of gas. Seems to be working very well for me.

As far as brand Techron, Regane, and Amsoil PI work well.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I never do, I stick to toptier gas and let that do the work for me.

Agreed!

plastic and metal have nothing to do with anything. techron or shell vpower every 5000 miles

FP Plus, its very inexpensive per dose. If you search here you will find plenty of information.

They are a site sponsor but don't participate much so it hasn't been discussed lately.

Originally Posted By: tweeder263
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I never do, I stick to toptier gas and let that do the work for me.

Agreed!

I would do the same, except I get a $0.38/gal ($0.10 / Litre) gas discount on gas that isn't top-tier. With the amount of miles that I drive it's cheaper to add some FP-Plus each tank and use Amsoil PI once a year because I'm saving a ton of money on fuel with this discount.

I use 2-3oz of redline per 10 gallons of fuel every fill up. I also use Chevron 92 octane at all times for my turbocharged application

I still have almost 1 full case of redline SI-1 left

Last edited:
I used Redline SI-1 in my Saturn. It was the first time (120k) that I had ever used a strong fuel injection cleaner.

I added the full bottle to 1/2 tank of gas, then topped up the tank.

It didn't do anything!!! No difference in driveability at all.

The first time I tried the Redline, I took the spark plugs out before and after to see the tops of the pistons. They were noticably cleaner after the full bottle run. I could actually see the metal color on 3/4 of the piston, where-as before it was covered in black carbon.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
There is a very nice B12 Chemtool, which I KNOW works, because it comes in a METAL can, unlike the other stuff, which doesn't work, and comes in plastic. Anything that has to come in a metal can, must be strong stuff, and also, Chemtool is cheap, because there is no marketing - it just markets itself.

I used this stuff
grin2.gif

GO%20GALLON.jpg

I usually run the V-Power additive before and in the middle of an OCI. That works out to about every 4000 miles or after the change to winter and summer gas
wink.gif

I don't notice a whole lot of improvement, but I consider it a preventative maintenance thing... have used it on neglected cars and it seemed to help. I can get it for about $5 a bottle, so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back