2001 Saab 9-5 turbo oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be changing the oil in my wife's Aunt's 2001 Saab 9-5 Turbo Wagon. I'm not sure exactly which engine is in it, but I do know it's a turbo. This Saab is a salvage rebuild job that came from the New England area. The Saab is driven approx. 50 miles per day, mostly 55-65 mph on the highway.

I also believe this Saab gets serviced by a local quickie-lube joint. Who knows what kind of oil they've been using in it.
dunno.gif
Is synthetic mandatory for this Saab's engine, or will a syn-blend or dino be acceptable?

Any recommendations?

Do you know if it's the 4 cylinder or the V6? Either way, stick to full synthetic. The 4 cylinder models have a Saab-acknowledged sludging problem, the best way to avoid it is to use full synthetic and change every 5k.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the factory fill for the 4 cylinder models nowadays. The 5W-40 is also good, though the 0W may be better for the cold New England winters.

jeff

Wayne,
I heard that you were working with Ted to start using Amsoil in your 1.8T. If so, the ACD 10w-30/30 would work well in this Saab as well.

Other than that, I'd simply go with syn 30wt, at least thats what my books are telling me.

MW

Saab has an engine warranty for sludge on the 4 cyl engines up to the 2001's. Make sure you keep all records of oil changes and receipts if you DIY. The 6 cyl doesn't have this problem (if it's a 9-5SE, it's 6 cyl).

The current consensus for Saab oil over on Saabnet is to use M1 0w-40. Just make sure it's an A3/B3 synth oil in accordance with the owner's manual in case of sludge-related problems.

go to the dealer and see if they have a diy oil change kit for the 9-3 ss

I can get the 0w-40 cheaper through my dealer than anywhere else. Granted, I have the 9-3 ss, so want the included oe filter and oring, but im sure they would swap applicable parts for a nominal fee.

Seriously, some saab delaer sell the 0w-40 for super cheap...

Id run M1 0w-40 regardless... otherwise, if youre really against it, Id use amsoil 5w-40.

Change every 5-10k, depending on engine and driving profile.

JMH

greenjp,

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, the Saab CAME FROM New England, but it now lives exclusively in sweet home Alabama.

Now, I'll just have to find out if the Saab has been running synthetic or not. If not, I may just refuse to touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back