Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read Valvoline's 4 X better wear protection thread( vs. Mobil 1) and happened to see this display for Castrol EDGE 5W-30. Some poster's mentioned that Valvoline may be making an unsubstantiated claim against Mobil 1 but now Castrol is doing it too, citing the Sequence IVA wear test.

Check out the photo from their display:

0128091040-01.jpg

I doubt that your engine will go south using Mobil oils. But a lot of consumers are becoming price / quality conscious, Exxon Mobil will see lower sales because of that. But whoever is running Exxon, they are running the company to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
somebody should tell all the race teams that are using Mobil 1 5W30 that their oil is causing so much wear. Especially since they are using them for 24 hr endurance races.

I dunno. I work in a field heavily involved the the sophistry of semantics, and much of these claims are sort of like saying that Desmond Howard is a 4X better NFL wide receiver than Jerry Rice because he ran a faster time in the 40 yard dash...

And I am no friend of EXOM, personally (as a completely disingenuous pseudo-
grin2.gif
)environmentalist - I think some of the things they've done to be downright disgusting from funding bad pseudo-science to giving huge bonuses amongst record profits and soaring gas prices. EXOM is a case study in bad public relations.

There is a theory that EXOM is in fact gonna go the way of the dinosaur, but not because Mobil1 is declining in quality. But I have a hard time buying the hype from the guys at Ashland oil and British Petroleum nor do I think they're much better or more honest. I think they're merely trying to catch Mobil1 in a catch-22 because they can, and have little to lose. And it's not the first time. I worked for a subsidiary of Valvoline (on a very low level) and was told to extol how Synpower was the first synthetic to be compatible with conventional "dino" oil. But I was like, "so what?" The price of tea in China has more bearing on what oil I choose to use in my car today...

Last edited:
I wonder if PP offers 16x better wear? Or if we will see that being advertised?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Castol Edge is 4X better than Synpower? Who knew!?

That's what I was thinking!

On my way to Walmart, there's bound to be a, "Super Tech offers 16 X better wear protection than Mobil 1," display out by now.

Last edited:

Based on the math, Castrol would have Valvoline by 2x, not 4x. If it were 4x, that sign would say "16x better. . . "

Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Based on the math, Castrol would have Valvoline by 2x, not 4x. If it were 4x, that sign would say "16x better. . . "

You have a point there, but then, that's all based on marketing claims and not on the actual wear rates conducted during testing. Isn't it?

Last edited:
The interesting thing here is the silence from Mobil.

I would like to be listening when the corporate bulk buyers ask the Mobil reps "what is the deal with the claims from Ashland and BP?".

LOL, looks like Mobil is paying the price for silence and inaction.

Unless Castrol just happened to stumble across the same batch and lab.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Check out the photo from their display:

0128091040-01.jpg

LOL! Here goes another p_i_s_s_i_n_g contest.

Assuming the wear with M1 is so small that it's irrelevant anyway, zero divided by 8 (8 time less wear) is still zero. I can't wait to see which company will claim "16x better" next.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
My personal viewpoint on this stuff: it's all marketing baby!

Yeah. As usual, the marketoids take some irrelevant tidbit of information and try to convince you that it'll make a world of difference.

27.gif

Oil marketing wars round 9438075893475.5.

Besides, what with the current API and SAE specs for motor oil, it's meaningless anyhow. It's like saying that Jack Daniels is better than Tanqueray. Both will get you just as sloshed for about the same price. It's all preference.

crackmeup2.gif

Mobil has their work cut out for them. BP probably found the same flaw Valvoline found and jumped on it. Why not? 8x better does sound a bit extreme though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back