Will switching to a synthetic blend cause leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima with 247,000 miles on the original engine. It is starting to use a little oil between changes (every 3,000 miles). I have always used Castrol 10w30 GTX, but was thinking of switching to a synthetic blend. I have heard that this will cause oil leaks. Is this true?

Synthetic oils don't cause leaks, they expose them. As your engine ages, the engines seals age and change. Somtimes with using dino oils, their is a build up on them. When you put a high detergent synthetic in like Mobil 1, Amsoil/RL etc, it will clean spots that were plugging up potential leaks. With a Synthetic blend, you probably don't have to worry too much about this. The % of synthetic in blends is very small. I personally would just stick with dino oil being they are better then ever now. If your not extending drains, I don't see the point.

It won't cause leaks-however the cleaning action may remove crud or debris that are sealing existing leaks.

You might try moving up to a 10W40 product or high mileage product and see if that helps the consumption issue.

I think the percentage of people who switch to synthetic oil and have leaks is very small. In many cases it was older technology gaskets and seals. Even if synthetic oil did cause a leak, in many cases the conditioners that are part of the additives will condition the dried seal and stop the leak.

With a synthetic blend there is zero chance of it causing a leak.

But given you already have 247K miles on the engine, what are you looking for as far as engine life goes?

Consumption can come from several areas, but with that mileage, your rings are bound to be showing some age.

247k mi??

I wouldn't alter a thing. What's the problem with a little oil use between changes. If your talking
quote:

Originally posted by golferpbe:
I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima with 247,000 miles on the original engine. It is starting to use a little oil between changes (every 3,000 miles). I have always used Castrol 10w30 GTX, but was thinking of switching to a synthetic blend. I have heard that this will cause oil leaks. Is this true?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Synthetic oils don't cause leaks, they expose them. As your engine ages, the engines seals age and change. Somtimes with using dino oils, their is a build up on them. When you put a high detergent synthetic in like Mobil 1, Amsoil/RL etc, it will clean spots that were plugging up potential leaks. With a Synthetic blend, you probably don't have to worry too much about this. The % of synthetic in blends is very small. I personally would just stick with dino oil being they are better then ever now. If your not extending drains, I don't see the point.

Excellent advise!
smile.gif

golferpbe,

Have you had any engine trouble during the 247,000 miles, while using the Castrol GTX?

I've been using GTX in our 2003 Honda, and I was curious.

Also, I spoke to an oil company representative because I too, had a question about synthetic blends and oil leaks; (I have a Jeep that uses Mobil 1 and the rear seal leaks).

The rep told me that the industry standard percentage of synthetic fluid in a quart bottle of synthetic blend, is 10-20%; the other 80-90% of oil in a quart bottle of synthetic blend, is conventional oil.

The rep told me that a synthetic blend would not leak nearly as much, as a full synthetic would.

It's true that PAO-only oils (like the original Mobil 1) were prone to leaks with seals of the time. But it had nothing to do with "detergency" or cleaning up seals. PAO hardens seals and needs esters (or additives) to balance the seal swell. Sometimes the PAO will shrink a seal that's borderline ready to go, and the leak stops when the other components "do their magic".

I've heard a few rumors that even Group III may have similar seal hardening compared to PAO.

I don't believe regular Mobil 1 is terribly high detergent. If there's a really a problem with plugged up seals, any oil claiming to be "high detergent" could cause a problem. A lot of high-mileage oils claim to have boosted detergent packages.

Good grief...you have practically a quarter of a million miles on your engine using Castrol Dino...WHY would you want to change????

Auto RX? WHY? Unless you just have some extra $ to toss away. You are getting great service out of the OCI/Oil you are using now...don't change a thing.

I realize being testosterone driven being and BITOG fanatics, we have the desire to well, DO SOMETHING. But like the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Continue the regiment you are on now and see if you can go another 250,000 miles!!!

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

quote:

The rep told me that the industry standard percentage of synthetic fluid in a quart bottle of synthetic blend, is 10-20%; the other 80-90% of oil in a quart bottle of synthetic blend, is conventional oil.

The majority of syn blends on the market utilize Grp III dino as the "synthetic". Very few PAO/dino formulations are on the market.

quote:

I've heard a few rumors that even Group III may have similar seal hardening compared to PAO.

Yes, Grp III, similar to PAO, has only fair solvency and needs additive help for seals.

The solvency issue is the reason that the new 140+ VI index GTL base oils are expected to be blended with Grp II oils to make the finished PCMO's.

In the early 90s I used nothing but synthetic in all my cars. I had a 92 lumina van 3.1 a 91 mitsubishi mirage 1.5 and a 91 dodge spirit RT 2.2dohc turbo.By the time each car hit 12k I had major oil leaks in all of the cars.My cars spent most of the time in the shop getting seals and gaskets replaced under warranty.I have not used synthetic in any of my new cars after this and have not had any problems with oil leaks since.

Maxlife seems to be highly regarded on the site lately. If it was mine id probably go with maxlife 10w30 and many here say its a blend.
Keep the oil changed and you could probably see another 100k out of that engine.

So Max Life Synthetic is a blend? And from what I am reading here.... I am paying a premium for 10% of synthetic oil. The rest is DINO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back