PureOne PL20195 vs. PL10241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had either of these filters apart? Just curious as my Jeep takes a PL10241, but alot of guys with the same jeep use a Motorcraft FL-400S or equivalent. The PL20195 is equivelant to the Motorcraft filter. I'm just curious if they really have that much more filter media in them, or if there is any advantage to going with the bigger filter. Its not like it holds that much more oil that that would be a benefit. I seem to be limited to the Purolator filters or the bigger Motorcraft as most others seem to have ADBV problems on this particular engine. Event the factory filters have the occasional failure.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Has anyone had either of these filters apart? Just curious as my Jeep takes a PL10241, but alot of guys with the same jeep use a Motorcraft FL-400S or equivalent. The PL20195 is equivelant to the Motorcraft filter. I'm just curious if they really have that much more filter media in them, or if there is any advantage to going with the bigger filter. Its not like it holds that much more oil that that would be a benefit. I seem to be limited to the Purolator filters or the bigger Motorcraft as most others seem to have ADBV problems on this particular engine. Event the factory filters have the occasional failure.

The Purolator specs show that:

PL20195
O.D. 2.98
Height 4.74
Thread Pitch UNF-2B
Threads 3/4-16
Relief Valve P.S.I. 12-15

PL10241
O.D. 2.98
Height 3.36
Thread Pitch UNF-2B
Threads 3/4-16
Relief Valve P.S.I. 12-17

The PL20195 appears to be a longer PL10241.

In the Purolator line longer length means longer filter media.

It appears that, if there are no clearance problems that would bend or perforate the longer one, it should work.

Thanks for the breakdown on this Rolf. I use the PL10241 in my 2000 Tundra, because it's the recommended filter by Purolator and I've found the ADBV to be consistently better than some other filters I've tried. For awhile there, I had been tinkering with oversized filters from other companies on this vehicle. But I always seem to come back to the PL10241 to avoid start-up noises.

the PL20195 is the only larger filter that will fit mine. If I went longer, I'd risk the axle hitting it at full flex, and if I went larger in diameter, I would never get it on as it would hit the timing case. I was just wondering if i'd really gain anything with something thats a little longer. I already change oil every 5000-6000miles, so I don't think it would help me out with a extended oci, unless I were to change it every other oil change.

And, if you have a Briggs/Stratton or Kohler (or a bunch of others) engine in your lawn tractor, those filters will fit 'em, too..
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the tip. I have a 20HP B&S on my JD L111 lawnmower that I've been using overpriced Wix 51056 filters on. I don't know why these filters are so expensive for a lawnmower.

WIX is a good filter, but they usually aren't economical, unless you buy in bulk from someone like fleetfilter.com.

I've seen everything from MC FL400S to Fram 3600/3614's used on Briggs & Kohler engines, in addition to the L10241. There are a PILE of filters that will work, for $2.50 - 4.00 or so. Do some cross-referencing at the various filter sites, make sure you have room to physically fit the filter in there, and you're set.

Interesting aside - the missus and I were at Sears the other day, and as we were going out through the automotive department, they had 'genuine' Briggs/Stratton and 'genuine' Kohler oil filters there for $12.50; on the shelf below was a Purolator L10241 for $3.95. I wonder how many guys just grab the OEM filter??
21.gif

I'd say the Pure One filter is a little better than the MC filter. But you'd probably never notice the difference under normal OCI's.

Who makes the Bosch filters? I was always kinda turned off by them ever since my dad had one with a failed ADBV. that and atleast then they were made in Mexico, not sure about now. I guess maybe his coulda just been a fluke one though too.

I realize that this is a PureOne discussion but, I just recently cut open my Purolator Premium Plus #10241 from my RX-300 after my 3000 mile OCI and it only looked OK! I have used the P1 for this application B/4 and it looked more stout in it's appearance after use as compared to the PPP. On the PPP, there was no string tied around the media as in the past and the pleats were wavey in their appearance(not straight). I've cut open many filters after an OCI and some looked better made(straight pleats and thicker can). Although the ADBV looked fine and there were metal end caps, I was just less impressed with the media on this particualr PPP #10241 than some other PPP that I cut open in the past. I don't really think that wavey pleats means much as this is just an observation and, the string around the media means nothing either as I never cared for it. The PPP were the only filters that I've ever seen with string. The filter media just looked a little junky is all. I'll still continue to use them as PepBoys often has them FREE after rebate or with some of their 5qt oil purchace specials. Hey, in the past I used FRAM orange can of death for 20+ years and nothing bad ever happened to any of my engines. Some of the best looking filters cut open after use were the old Super Tech filters(pre-E Core). The only reason I stopped using them was that I always got start up rattle with them on all applications that I've used them on. But they looked great inside!

Quote:
Hey, in the past I used FRAM orange can of death for 20+ years and nothing bad ever happened to any of my engines.

As have many others...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
Anyone know the mobil equivalent of the PL20195?

M1-209

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back