Gave ARX another try

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrianWC,

I agree with you to some extent. Working parts with a good flow of oil can be effectively cleaned, in situ. Cosmetic areas with no real flow of oil is another issue. As a gross example the underside of a valve cover likely sees only a mere splash at best and sees mostly vapor. In this case an in situ cleaner can not work.

Yes, this is what I meant. Take for example my own experiences. When I removed my oil pan after arx-ing, I had a pretty darn clean surface. There were some minor deposits but NOTHING like the crud many 9-5 owners get. However, on the underside of the valve cover and other exterior surfaces that were either splashed or otherwise didn't get a good flow of oil over them, there was where the crud was more persistent. Granted, I could have easily gotten a cloth and some strong solvent and rubbed the rest off. But I've kept all crud in place that I didn't think posed a particular danger just to see how things get cleaned over time.

My turbo Mazda is the same. But my oil and compression rings got such a clean up the higher compression, hence power blew the clutch out of it. NOT a downside to me even though a grand out of pocket, I welcomed the extra performance.

My thoughts on the lack of improvement is that at least it hasn't gotten worse. Some other products it seems like a 50/50 chance it may make it worse. My experience so far has been pretty good with AutoRx.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe oil temperature might be a reason that it wouldn't work as well in some engines valve train. I understand that it cleans the best when the oil is hot. If this area never got to an acceptable temperature then maybe that area didn't get as clean as maybe the ring packs would. That would explain why the rest of the engine still is working fine.

That's why I always say "if it runs cold fix it" and long runs with hot oil are required, not lots of short trips. I now never use an oil with PAO or ester content, but that's just me from my own testing.

A properly operating thermostat and heat are A-Rx's and an engines best friend in the long run. Because of were I live and the fact that my cars must be off the street overnight makes for some interesting driving conditions. Twice a week I drive 30 minutes each way to teach a class. My wife also works over 20 miles one way from the house. I make sure that I alternate my three vehicles so that they are used for those longer trips and get good and hot. Then they're parked so the first car out in the morning is one that is going to be making a long trip that day whenever possible. I'm sure it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back