3208 Cat gillnet boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hows it going
grin2.gif

Thanks for the tips.

I talked with Gregs Diesel in Anacortes, WA. He said the John Deere six Model 6081 is going for about $26K for the 330HP model. The price goes up in Feb or March. The 3208 rebuilt would be $16K ish.

Seems kinda steep for a rebuild........ My Brother and I live in Everett,Wa area now. He might only fish the boat for another couple years he claims before he off loads it. So we are thinking about a cheaper route.

The turbo sounded funny when I first fished with him in 2004. This past summer it had a change in noise in the turbo. We babied it through the season and need to do something to keep the boat going for a couple more years.

Getting through the season is critical without a break down. So we would like to do something that makes the most sense.
Maybe just replacing the turbo for now.

A change in turbo noise is definitely something you need to investigate. You need to check for boost leaks, inspect the shaft clearance, look over the compressor wheel, and (if you're ambitious) look over the turbine wheel.

The last thing you want is for a turbo to come apart. It ain't pretty.

Oilboy,
be carefull on those John Deer's I know 3 people that we'r or are unhappy with them, all fishing boats. Talk to plunty of people that recently put them in before you get one.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Probably my Brother won't go with one. What kind of problems?

They are a tried and true tractor engine............
21.gif

That's why these guys bought them.

heads we're leaking fuel oil into the coolant via whare fuel goes into the injector.

computer or a sencer went out. Boat idled from Adak to Dutch. same engine as fuel leak.

One guy took a pair out and went back to 6-71. Albacore troller

some guys felt JD didn't stand behind there engine on some of the problems.

Quet a few rumors going around to stay away from them. I also hear guys that are happy also. Just do some checking 1st.

Snowman, the rumors you're hearing must be about the John Deere 10.5/12.5 liter engines- these have a stainless steel injector cup that IS prone to leaking.

But the 6081 is a totally different setup, with no possibility of injector cup leakage (because it has no injector cups).

I can't say about marine applications, but the 6081 is a rock-solid engine in tractors and combines. Very few problems at all. While the larger 12.5L and 10.5L engines aren't bad (they have some inherent problems with the valve-train and injector cups)... 6081 is more reliable IMO.

Having worked for both John Deere and Detroit dealerships, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a scenario where a man would remove ANY John Deere engine in favor of a 6-71. Not sayin' I don't believe you... I just can't imagine why anybody would do that. The deere engines are quieter, more powerful, VASTLY more efficient, more durable/reliable, and parts are easier to come by... at least in my experience.

Again, I've rarely worked on engines in marine applications- only a couple of oddball Cummins engines. But from my POV, having worked on more trucks, construction equipment, and agricultural equipment than I care to remember, and having overhauled hundreds of engines over the years (mostly Cummins, Deere, and Detroit)... I'd opt for just about ANY modern Cummins or Deere engine as compared to either a 2-cycle detroit or a 3208 Cat. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Yes, their 'big engine' would be the 12.5L. Not a bad engine IMO, but the 6081 is smaller and an entirely different design.

The injector cups on those 10.5L and 12.5L Deere engines are an odd design. If you replace an injector, you HAVE to replace the injector cup... otherwise it will leak. That isn't the case with ANY other engine design using injector cups as far as I know... definitely not the case with any Cummins or Detroit engine. I wonder if his problem originated with a mechanic who wasn't familiar with Deere engines and/or this particular issue.

So long as the injector cup is replaced along with the injector, they're pretty much trouble-free. Try to replace only the injector (like you'd do with just about any similar setup), and you'll have problems.

It was a new engine, 1st season.

Talked to the guy that took a pair out and replace with 6-71. He didn't give me the model #, but said they discontinued the model he had, becouse of problems. The JD's he had we're a nightmere and didn't want to talk about them. He origany had 6-71 and was comfertable with them, so put em back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back