Diagnosing fuel pump/tank noise on a 03 Vue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing the oil on my wife's Vue yesterday when I noticed what initially sounded like an exhaust leak hiss. But it is coming from the fuel tank. It sounds like it could be fuel spraying.

I have an electronic copy of the GM manual, and it says there is a TSB (including my vin) for the secondary fuel pump making a "Buzzing, Grinding, or Growling" noise. It doesn't really sound like that. Its more of a hiss/spray sound.

That TSB says to confirm the source as the secondary pump, disconnect the fuel line so it is draining the tank, then turn it on. I disconnected it at the filter, and turned the ignition on. The hiss was gone, but there wasn't much much fuel volume either. Maybe a half a quart in a couple minutes. I'm not sure if that was from the pump, or siphon effect.

The fuel tank has a hump in the middle of it for awd (ours is fwd). So the secondary fuel pump might just pump the fuel from one side to the other. I had never noticed this sound before, but since it only had 1/4 tank at the time, I thought maybe the secondary pump was spraying across open air and thats why I heard it. So I filled it up, and the sound is still there.

On a different vehicle, I once had a fuel hose crack inside a tank. I'm wondering if that's what's happened. The CEL light is not on, and it runs/drives fine. I have not floored it to see if it has enough fuel at WOT.

The TSB said to use a tool to turn on the fuel pump. Is turning on the ignition the line disconnected enough? Can a ScanGaugeII send this type of command? I could use an excuse to get a scangauge :)

Its my wife's car, so if the fuel pump is actually dieing, I'd like to replace it before she is stranded. They run $200-$300 each, so I don't want to just throw random parts at it either.

(2003, Saturn Vue, FWD, 3.0 v6, 104k miles)

Any ideas?

Electric fuel pumps make noise.
WE should note changes in the tone, in particular.
Any chance you could hear another car or two to compare?

Some systems are return systems, and you will also hear the fuel going back in to the tank.

So there may very well be nothing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back