Quick question for input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am not sure what forum to post this in and figured this forum would have the best input for a motorcycle question. I may have the opportunity to trade my 1999 Suzuki Intruder VS800 and my Honda CBR 954RR for one of these two bikes, the 2006 KAWASAKI VULCAN 2000 CLASSIC or the 2005 YAMAHA ROAD STAR 1700.

Would this be a bad trade? I really like a lot of power and am not sure which bike would give the closest sport bike power between the two but if I can make the trade for one which would be the best? Thank you for the feedback.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I really like a lot of power and am not sure which bike would give the closest sport bike power between the two

Not sure if by "power" you mean torque or HP but the bikes your are talking about are different animals from a CBR obviously. The Vtwins cruisers will have a lot of Torque at low RPMs and are probably rev limited to less than 6K rpm. So aside from being different types of bikes the engines make their "power" differently and don't behave the same.

Thank you for the feedback and I am actually going to my local Harley dealership tomorrow to see what they can do for me. Hopefully they will have a good compromise for me.

Buy A Harley and support your own country! This coming from the country next to you! What happens in your country affects ours as well! I try not to buy anything made anywhere besides U.S and Canada.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
Buy A Harley and support your own country! This coming from the country next to you! What happens in your country affects ours as well! I try not to buy anything made anywhere besides U.S and Canada.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv

I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Wow..that's got to be the first Harley I've ever seen that I could actually picture myself on. That is SHARP.

I'm drooling over that XR1200 they're introducing in the US (Europe got it first!!) this spring.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Coffee
Actually I spoke with the Harley dealership and am going there today to show them the Honda I have for trade and see the bike I want and then take my Intruder there tomorrow to finalize the deal.
Coffee, I was seriously thinking about buying a new Electra Glide a couple years ago ( Jan '07 IIRC). I had an '02 1800 Goldwing for a trade in. It had less than 20k miles and was in immaculate shape.The trade in price they gave me was almost an insult, IMO. I paid over $15k for the bike new and they said they'de give me $7k and some change as a trade in.
smirk2.gif

Needless to say I didn't buy the bike. I love and ride Harley's, but think their dealerships can get alittle out of touch sometimes. Hope your's in better.

I hope so too as my concern is that they will tell me something stupid like, "We can give you $5k trade-in for both of them!" I expect to at least get $8k for both of them or I am walking out.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I hope so too as my concern is that they will tell me something stupid like, "We can give you $5k trade-in for both of them!" I expect to at least get $8k for both of them or I am walking out.

Let us know if you walk.
frown.gif
My personal experience, and a couple other guys', is that non-HD's do not trade well at H-D dealerships. Kinda' makes sense, as the typical guy who stops in there is looking for an H-D; most non-H-D riders don't go in there.

Bro. #1 ended up with a Honda ST1300 at about $4K below book value that he bought from a guy who was going to trade on a Road King (or Glide, or something - they have too many model names). The H-D guy offered him $8K for an '07 with less than 3,000 miles, so he sold it to my brother for that price, took the cash in, and ended up getting a better deal.
21.gif

Well, I went there for lunch and spoke with the sales lady I was supposed to meet and reiterated to her that I was looking to trade my two for one of their bikes and we narrowed it down to this one, http://www.auction123.com/showroom/Chand...8002&wait=false

She is not sure what they will end up giving me for trade-in but this is the closest she expects they can do for me without getting a much smaller bike. I made her aware that I will walk away if they cannot work it for me as I do not have anything to lose.

If you don't get a deal then go to the Harley Davidson website and hit the dealer locator. Type in your zip code and see how many dealers are in your area. Someone will work a deal for you in this economy. You also may want to look on ebay and see what Vrods are selling for. You also may get more cash for your bikes by selling them on ebay. Also, if you arent hung up on a Harley there are many Honda dealers aho have 1 & 2 year old brand new Honda VTX 1800 bikes still in the crate that you should be able to get NEW for about $9-10k. So my best advice is shop till you drop.

You have all the options and it is a buyers market for sure.

Last edited:
Well, after getting very frustrated with the Harley dealerships yesterday I am looking at the other dealerships for a non-Harley cruiser. They are generally cheaper and will be probably easier to get.

I have heard very good things from people who have bought Yamaha cruisers. Many happy Victory riders, as well. I've not heard so much about Suzuki cruisers. I've seen a few, but not a lot of buzz out there about those.

It's true the Honda VTX1800 can be had on the cheap as many are still in the crate. Honda's cruiser lineup has always been a bit ... confused. Mechanically and functionally they are solid machines. But I'm not sure Honda quite understands what motivates the cruiser buyer.

But I think it's relatively safe to say that any machine from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki is going to be solid. It may not carry the same mystique as H-D, but then again nothing does. H-D counts on that being the case.

Resale value on a HD is traditionally better than most metrics.

I didn't notice if you mentioned the price on the VRod or what it is they offered you for your bikes.

As was mentioned above, a good way to get an idea of what a given bike is selling for is looking thru the "completed" ebay auctions. This is not to say those prices are etched in stone, but it's sometime worth noting. Also look at the Kelly Blue Book values as well....again just a "guide".

If you have an idea of the actual value of your bikes and the value of the bike you want to buy, you may not be as disappointed when it comes time to pull the trigger on a deal.

Not knowing the $$$ figures involved I would hesitate to pass judgement on the HD dealer in Chandler. Sales are down everywhere and if they don't want to deal it must be because they don't need the sale that bad.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back