Do engine knock when starting in very cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started the 2007 Corolla in very cold weather today, around 15 degrees, and it knocked intermittently for a lil before being normal. Is that typical?

Any y'all notice this?

Oil is Mobil 1, Filter is Mobil 1.

thx.

Does it knock in drive or 1st gear with the foot on the brake or just in park/neutral?

If it's just for a few seconds, it's fine. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the engine to build enough oil pressure to keep all the reciprocating parts happy. Lots of engines do this without issues. Don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: mareakin
Started the 2007 Corolla in very cold weather today, around 15 degrees, and it knocked intermittently for a lil before being normal. Is that typical?

Engines with hydraulic lifters can make a "knocking" sound in cold weather until the lifters "pump up".

It's not really a problem.

If it bothers you, move to a lower viscosity motor oil, preferably one which begins with "0W...".

You'll get oil to the lifters faster and eliminate the problem.

None of my vehicles knock in any weather. It'll be below zero here tomorrow and I'll be starting my Jeep early in the AM to go for a ride. It has GTX 5W30.

It'll be pretty cool with no roof/doors.
thumbsup2.gif

None of my vehicles knock in any weather including -25F here in Mn. I'm using MC 5w-20 in my Ford Freestlye and Delvac 5w-40 in my TDI Jetta wagon.

Do you mean 4 seconds or a minute of knocking? A minute is not good, 4 seconds is Ok if you are running something like 10W30. I am kind of surprised you can hear much of the engine at all when in the car. Do you watch the oil pressure light, how long does it take to go off?
My car didn't get plugged in properly last night and this mornings start at -16F sounded a bit rough, it also took maybe 8-10 seconds for the oil light to go off, even with synthetic 5W30...
Ian

If it's a lingering knocking that passes after so many minutes of operation ..and isn't an obvious lifter tick/tap, look into something like Amsoil's PI or other agent to assure that you don't have soft piston deposits. It's often mistaken for piston slap.

Our 06 Corolla starts at that temp with no issues. Which M1 are you running? Exactly how long does it make the noise?

Gary- You think a car this new could have pistons deposits? I suppose it could happen
21.gif

oil is Mobil 1 0W30.

it's automatic transmission set to "P."

With that oil you should have plenty of flow at low temperatures.

It might be worth looking under the hood if it continues.

There are a few mechanical issues that can present this way.

How old a car is this and what kind of mileage is on it?

Have you recently had any work done on it?

I have a project saturn that made an ominous noise when cold.

Turns out the serpentine belt stretched so far, that the spring loaded tensioner bottomed (topped?) out and rattled. But only when cold.

Originally Posted By: Rolf

Engines with hydraulic lifters can make a "knocking" sound in cold weather until the lifters "pump up".

It's not really a problem.

If it bothers you, move to a lower viscosity motor oil, preferably one which begins with "0W...".

You'll get oil to the lifters faster and eliminate the problem.

That's all fine and dandy, but Toyotas now use solid lifters in between the cam and valve.

I'm guessing it was the timing chain - known to be a bit noisy on these engines

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That's all fine and dandy, but Toyotas now use solid lifters in between the cam and valve.

I haven't seen what year it is.

There is a slew of mechanical issues that can make this noise.

- valve lash adjustment

- camshaft chain or belt stretch

- worn teeth on cam gears

- worn camshaft lobes

- low oil pressure due to a bad/weak oil pump

- stretched serpentine belt

- power steering pump problems

and so on

oil is Mobil 1 0W30.

We've found the culprit.

Seriously, for whatever reason, many people report Mobil 1 making their engines noisy on cold starts.

Try a different oil and filter next time around and see if that helps. Perhaps even try a conventional 5w-30 like Pennzoil. Most everyone indicates their cars run smooth and quiet with Pennzoil

We've found the culprit.

Seriously, for whatever reason, many people report Mobil 1 making their engines noisy on cold starts.

Try a different oil and filter next time around and see if that helps. Perhaps even try a conventional 5w-30 like Pennzoil. Most everyone indicates their cars run smooth and quiet with Pennzoil

Oddly enough a number of folks reporting this issue found it went away by switching to the 0W-20 or 0W-30 Mobil 1, which are exceptional in terms of flow at low temperatures.

oil is Mobil 1 0W30.

We've found the culprit.

Hysteria all over again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back