Toro SnowMaster 20 (mid-80s) no start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there experts and all. Here's a little issue that probably is not worth your time to read :)

The thrower I have looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

I got this 20+ year old Toro for free about 5 years ago. I rebuilt the carb about 5 years ago and the thing ran great ever since. The trick was to always fill with warm (60 degree F) gas mix before starting. It never started when sub 20 degree F gas was used.

So, now it won't start. I replaced the gas line and tested the fuel tank for leaks. It sparks fine, and even ignites a bit when I slowly crank while touching the spark plug tip to the engine (spark plug hole area.) I noticed some gas mix on the outside of the gas line and carb but I'm not sure if its from small spills or not. I've also blown a bit of carb cleaner into the gas port and air intake.

Should I test for compression before going any further, if so what should it be? Also, is there a trick to a compression test with this engine? Does the valve/ governor need to be propped open?

Should I take off the exhaust and look for blocks? Remove the belt to lessen the drag on the crankshaft (the paddles and belt do move without much resistance)?

This thing worked like a champ last week, but it was left outside so was fully exposed during a couple of storms this year. (But, I did drain the tank when I replaced the gas line.)

I'll be looking for a better thrower before next season, but I have a small area to clear so I don't need much of a thrower.

Try some starter fluid, since you are going to toss it next year. Also, if you have flooded it, hold the throttle wide open to clear it out.
Does it have choke or primer? Make sure its working, my old sleds have a primer and need it to start.

Is the plug getting wet with fuel? If so, you could try a new/strong sparkplug. Could the fuel be old? I doubt compression is your issue, but you could do a quick check by holding a finger over the sparkplug hole while you pull the recoil. Wow. That guy on fleabay has inhaled waaaay too much two stroke. $80 for an inop, tiny OLD Toro single stage?!?!

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back