Advance Auto Parts Brand Motor Oil...rebranded Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Advance Auto Parts the other day and noticed something very interesting. Their house brand of motor oil comes in exactly the same type of package as the Havoline brand. One would not be able to tell the difference if the labels were removed from both bottles On top of that, they are both next to each other on the shelf!

I was just wondering if Advance Auto brand is simply rebranded Havoline? Havoline is my motor oil of choice for all of my vehicles, so this question comes out of pure curiousity.

No it is not. It even says that it is "NOT MANUFACTURED BY HAVOLINE". It is very confusing becuase even if you look at the words on the labels front and back. The words are written word for word except for the fact that where Havoline is written they substituted AA brand. Its a great oil though I have been using for quite some time now in my engines around the house. I think in a another thread people were speculating that it was made by warren possibly a coastal oil product.

Warren does make SuperTech for WalMart in certain regions of the country. The bottom of the bottles have a "WPP" symbols. Mobil make SuperTech in other regions for WalMart.

SuperTech from my local WalMart comes in qt and 5 gallon bottles that look just like Mobil's. Does not have the "WPP" symbol at the bottom

IIRC, Fuel Tanker Man posted this info in a previous thread, I am sure he can chime in here with his input

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
No it is not. It even says that it is "NOT MANUFACTURED BY HAVOLINE". It is very confusing becuase even if you look at the words on the labels front and back. The words are written word for word except for the fact that where Havoline is written they substituted AA brand. Its a great oil though I have been using for quite some time now in my engines around the house. I think in a another thread people were speculating that it was made by warren possibly a coastal oil product.

Thank you for the clarification.

Warren Unilube isn't the same as Warren Performance Products. Didn't click on the links but that probably was explained.

When I first saw Advance bottles, I thought the "compare with Havoline" meant that it was re-bottled Havoline. I consider Advances bottles (haven't seen the newest ones, maybe the not-manufactured-by) label is larger, to be highly misleading.

Actually the bottles are slightly different too. It's funny someone did the same thing with their oil filters.

-T

I read that the AA motor oil was supplied by Coastal who then was bought up by Warren in NC I believe. They are NO relation to the Warren that does the Walmart and Sears branded oils. I believe AA had to pull some stock of their own brand(Coastal/Warren) oil off the shelf do to quality problems within the past year or two. If you're going with "economy minded" brand oil I'd either use Walmart's SuperTech's or get the sale price on Havoline that AA has quiet often. Or look for a sale of a brand name oil in the paper.

Whimsey

Shoot, Havoline's not even manufactured by "Havoline". It's blended, bottled, and distributed by Chevron Corp. (The former "ChevronTexaco" name reverted back as of May 9, 2005 according to last week's Lube Report.) Wouldn't it just be a hoot if the Advance Auto motor oil really is the unloved corporate sibling of Chevron Supreme and Havoline? (Sometimes what a company doesn't tell you is more informative than what it does tell you!
wink.gif
)

Back in the early 90's, a friend of mine was convinced that Chevron, Havoline, Mobil, or the other oils from the major gasoline producers had to be second rate products. I think a lot had to do with the pricing compared to Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Quaker State, and all the additional marketing that the (then) lubes-only companies used to do.

I don't think any of the major US brands are unattached to a large gasoline producer, espectially since BP bought Castrol and Ashland (Valvoline) bought out Marathon. Then there's Sopus (Shell, Pennzoil, QS, Slick 50).

Further clarification please...

Technically speaking, AA oil was Coastal oil. Warren Unilube (NOT WPP) bought Coastal. So now that means it's WarrenUnilube oil...or does it mean it's still Coastal in the AA bottle but now owned by WarrenUnilube? Either way, it's NOT Supertech oil since thats made by WPP, correct?

If that's true, it's most definitely NOT a Chevron/Havoline product in their bottle. It's still the bottom-feeder Coastal product...

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
SNIP They are NO relation to the Warren that does the Walmart and Sears branded oils. I believe AA had to pull some stock of their own brand(Coastal/Warren) oil off the shelf do to quality problems within the past year or two. SNIP

Whimsey

For the record, Coastal accidentally bottled some 10W30 as 5W30.
If you live South of the the Mason-Dixon line, no blood, no foul. Further North though, that could have been a problem.
I still don't advocate using Coastal, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back