which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
27.gif

Hate2work,
That is hilarious! The M1 is very good. See some of the post from Doug Hillary. I' sure the Castrol is fine as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sefocus
Does changing oil brands matter? And is M1 5w-40 any better than
castrol syntec 5w-40.

Don't know about changing brands. The M1 TDT 5w40 is better in a diesel than the Castrol, according to the UOAs and general consensus in the diesel community. Dunno for a gasser.
Both good oils though.

^^ Agreed.

Mobil 1 5w-40 is for diesel engines (notice it says "Turbo Diesel Truck" on the bottle, hence "TDT" as ChiTDI said).

Castrol Syntec 5w-40 is for gasoline engines.

Both are good oils.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why?
The Amsoil site reps can direct you to product that is PAO. Not sure you can have that confidence with either Castrol or M1, unless it's the German Castrol perhaps.

Of course if you don't need/want PAO, then I would say the Mobil probably better than the Castrol of the two listed above.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: tig1
Why?
The Amsoil site reps can direct you to product that is PAO. Not sure you can have that confidence with either Castrol or M1, unless it's the German Castrol perhaps.

Of course if you don't need/want PAO, then I would say the Mobil probably better than the Castrol of the two listed above.

M1 TDT/Delvac 1 is arguably one of the best oils available. Period. Doug has stated it is PAO from one of his contacts at Mobil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
M1 TDT/Delvac 1 is arguably one of the best oils available.

Agreed here.

I would put Amsoil 5w-40 on at least equal footing to M1 TDT in a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: sefocus
Does changing oil brands matter? And is M1 5w-40 any better than
castrol syntec 5w-40.

It depends. In a TDI engine, Castrol Syntec is probably safe for a normal 10k-mile oil change interval. Mobil 1 5w40 (or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40) is usually safe for MUCH LONGER than a normal 10k-mile OCI. Even if you always change at 10k miles, it is reassuring to know that the oil is good enough to run for a much longer interval.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Agreed here.

I would put Amsoil 5w-40 on at least equal footing to M1 TDT in a gasoline engine.

The question is, why bother pay more and not getting better result ? M1 TDT is available anywhere and can be bought for less than $7/qt, Amsoil is not easily bought at local stores and cost more because of shipping.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The question is, why bother pay more and not getting better result ? M1 TDT is available anywhere and can be bought for less than $7/qt, Amsoil is not easily bought at local stores and cost more because of shipping.

M1 TDT is not always that easy to fine, and when you do it is often more than $7. After tax it can be almost $8/quart.

So not cheap. Still worth it, IMO.

TDT (or delvac1) is arguably one of the finest oils on the planet. while brand A or brand G may claim to be "as good", why would you want an oil that is harder to find, more expensive and doesn't have a track record of use that is probably measured in light years.

if you can't find it at walmart, whip into the local truckstop.

M-1 has my vote..............What a rifle.........lol!!!!!!!!

Oh....I mean....What an Oil.............lol!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure that Syntec is only rated "CF" (at least that's what the 5W40 I have in the garage says on the bottle), & M1 is either CI-4+ (TDT) or CJ (Delvac 1)-seems an easy decision to me.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Agreed here.

Geez... Nearly $28 a gallon! That is darn right criminal. Makes me feel a LOT better about what I paid for Schaeffer's 9000 5w40. An excellent oil that will compete favorably with M1, is almost $10 a gallon cheaper, and free shipping. Thanks for that post!!! Made my year!

M1 is a darn good oil, but not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back