Mobil 1 5W-30 EP, with Particle Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you all would be interested in seeing a VOA on Mobil 1 5W-30 EP, with particle counts and TBN.

M1_VOA_5W-30.png

Decent Tbn. Thanks for sharing. It's been awhile since I've seen a VOA of this oil.

Thanks - good to see. For all the bad talk about M1 here, the EP line, at least, seems to be a pretty strong oil!

I agree that this oil holds up well. Notice my UOA just posted this week under 07 Focus.

The old M1 5w-30 EP (SL) formula used to have Boron in the 250+ ppm range and Calcium was in 2800-2900 pmm range. Maybe something is not showing up which doesn't test, but overall looks weaker than the EP of yore.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
The old M1 5w-30 EP (SL) formula used to have Boron in the 250+ ppm range and Calcium was in 2800-2900 pmm range. Maybe something is not showing up which doesn't test, but overall looks weaker than the EP of yore.

This is the SM version that is why.

Originally Posted By: buster

This is the SM version that is why.

Yes I know it's SM.
wink.gif
I would expect to see lower Z an P, but was commenting how Mobil went further and lowered other additives as well. AFAIK there is no upper limit on Calcium and Boron.

They either scaled it down or replaced it with other additives that won't be picked up by a VOA.

Robert,
Weaker? Are is it just different? You would have to be a lubrication engineer to determine that.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Robert,
Weaker? Are is it just different? You would have to be a lubrication engineer to determine that.
If you wanted to use that argument with every thread on this board, you would have to basically eliminate 99.9 % of the board members and be left with basically a handful of people. It would be a fairly boring place.

A layman can trend whats been happening with a particular oil through each iteration/formula. Great example is with this thread. Even if a simple VOA doesn't tell the whole story it gives us a hint of what's going on. Some people will see a pattern and start to connect the dots with what information is available.

For all intensive purposes this formula looks weaker from an additive standpoint compared to the older SL formula with this simple VOA.

Is this formula different? Yes. Could it perform better? I don't know.

Originally Posted By: tig1

If you wanted to use that argument with every thread on this board, you would have to basically eliminate 99.9 % of the board members and be left with basically a handful of people. It would be a fairly boring place.

Yes, fiction is often more interesting than facts.

However, an elemental analysis by itself cannot rank motor oils since it does not measure base stocks or non-elemental blend stocks and additives.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
However, an elemental analysis by itself cannot rank motor oils since it does not measure base stocks or non-elemental blend stocks and additives.
Probably why I mentioned "simple VOA".

And, of course, that this or that oil is "weaker" - which in the context of an elemental analysis is meaningless.

Originally Posted By: Rolf

And, of course, that this or that oil is "weaker" - which in the context of an elemental analysis is meaningless.

True, there are many additives that do not show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back