Amsoil Engine Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 110,000 miles on the Honda 2.4L now and over the last few months I've noticed a loud tick on cold start ups. It eventually goes away once the car is warmed up. The oils used during this time were M1 0w20 and 5w20 EP. I became so used to hearing it that I figured it was due to the engines age.

This weekend I ran a bottle of Amsoil engine flush for 15 minutes. I just let the engine idle @ around 900-1,500 rpms. I then installed Amsoil 0w-20 and much to my surprise the ticking is gone. I honestly forgot how quiet this engine used to be.

I'm not sure if it's from using the engine flush, or the ASM, but the engine is so quiet now on cold start up. No ticking sound at all. It could have been the Mobil 1, flush or ASM so I'm not really sure what fixed the problem but I'm very happy with the way the engine sounds now. I've used many different oils in this engine and they all were about the same in terms of noise etc. Whatever took the noise away, I'm glad it worked.

I knew an amsoil dealer guy that used their flush every oil change on his mitsubishi 4 cyl and he never had any leaks. Sold the car to some guy with over 250k miles on it stil running strong. I have used that flush in the past to clean up anthing from a marginally restricted hydraulic lifter to ones that have become very loud with continous loud tapping due to coolant contamination. It works and works fast. It seems to have some strong chemicals in it. It's a great tool to have in my chemical "toolbox".

It's probably not a bad idea to use this stuff every 20k or so as JAG mentioned. I'm very impressed with the flush/oil and how quiet the engine is on cold start ups.

Pennzoil makes a good 'professional flush' that they use in their shops. Seems to work really well when we used it on vehicles, but it was a case of ther longer you left it in, the better. We'd run it for 20 mins., and a lot of stuff came out.....

Originally Posted By: buster
I have 110,000 miles on the Honda 2.4L now and over the last few months I've noticed a loud tick on cold start ups. It eventually goes away once the car is warmed up. The oils used during this time were M1 0w20 and 5w20 EP. I became so used to hearing it that I figured it was due to the engines age.

This weekend I ran a bottle of Amsoil engine flush for 15 minutes. I just let the engine idle @ around 900-1,500 rpms. I then installed Amsoil 0w-20 and much to my surprise the ticking is gone. I honestly forgot how quiet this engine used to be.

I'm not sure if it's from using the engine flush, or the ASM, but the engine is so quiet now on cold start up. No ticking sound at all. It could have been the Mobil 1, flush or ASM so I'm not really sure what fixed the problem but I'm very happy with the way the engine sounds now. I've used many different oils in this engine and they all were about the same in terms of noise etc. Whatever took the noise away, I'm glad it worked.

Just a general question Re: strong solvent flushes. After the flush is complete and you drop the oil is it a good idea to run an OCI with a cheap dino oil to be sure all the flush is out? Then go with the more expensive synthetic oil, so you're not diluting it with any residual flush that might be remaining in the engine?

Good question, Demar, I've wondered the same thing. I wouldn't want any of the strong chemicals still in there, it can't be good for things.

Buster, I'm thinking the easy cold startups and the missing tick are due more to the great oil you put in there rather than the flush you used. Whatever it was, I'm glad it's better for you :)

The residual flush should evaporate once the car is driven.

Ticking is back but less noticeable fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back