gm 3.6l v6 pcv replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys! I own a 2005 CTS from GM and the car has now 98k on the odo. I do a lot of driving and I do my own maintenance and never had any problem with past cars.

My concern is when I do an oil change, I usually inspect the pcv valve. Now the car has 98k miles and I never looked at it. Called 4 dealers and they all replied: there's no pcv valve in your 3.6l. One said that there's a pcv fitting though. The 05 CTS has a "makeshift" PCV valve, being a fitting rather than a valve.

So does it mean that I really dont have any pcv valve to replace? Is it possible for me to inspect the fitting and clean it maybe?

Some cars do not have a pcv valve .'Usually' it then would be a hose probably from a valvecover or around the top of the engine and connecting to right before but maybe after the throttle body.

Steve, thanks for the answer! I checked and yes, saw the long hose coming from the right side(when standing in front of engine) valve cover and connecting right before the throttle body.

So are you saying that there's nothing (no maintenance or cleaning it) to do with that?

Older BMWs had no PCV valve. I think a valve offers more precise metering under all conditions, and protects from backfire.
You may have an orfice that could be cleaned out on your car.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
Steve, thanks for the answer! I checked and yes, saw the long hose coming from the right side(when standing in front of engine) valve cover and connecting right before the throttle body.

So are you saying that there's nothing (no maintenance or cleaning it) to do with that?

Depending on the material it is made from, you should be able to clean the carbon [censored] inside of it. Maybe even use some pipe cleaners to give it a good scrubbing.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
.. I checked and yes, saw the long hose coming from the right side(when standing in front of engine) valve cover and connecting right before the throttle body.

A hose going from a cam cover, terminating UPSTREAM of the throttle body is your breather hose (filtered air in). The vacuum or 'PCV valve' side of the system is likely on the other cam cover on such a V-block engine. I know on some single cam cover GM engines, the vac side of the PCV system is directly ported head/intake or there is a short hidden hose from the top of the block skirt to a nipple on the underside of the intake manifold. Nothing to service. You can see one nipple on the front cam cover to the far right, here:

05%203.6L%20V6%20LY7%20CTS%20LoR.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Exactly, this is the nipple that is connected to the hose I'm refering to. I'm not willing to put it out because I'm afraid of breaking it (its made of plastic). I wasn't sure if the dealers was telling me the truth or not about no pcv valve.

I was asking this because since the 2 last oil changes, the first 3-4k miles used about 1/2 quart of oil and then, the next 1600 miles used another 1/2 quart and now another 600 miles laster, maybe just 50-100ml of oil down so its not alarming and I know the 3.6l vvt has a special design and a certain oil consumption is normal but I was thinking that maybe my pcv valve after 98k miles wouldn't have been due for a change or cleaning the hose like Reddy is saying.

The pattern of the oil consumption is like using some oil, not using some oil, using some, not using some.. I dunno. Also, on my next oil change I will try using PP instead of Mobil 1. There is no blue smoke on cold or warm startup, not blue smoke will driving or when flooring it. No leak (no dripping) only a small "mist" if I can say that maybe a 25ml is sprayed per oil change on the timing chain cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back