If you owned a Saab 9-5.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you owned a 2004 Saab 9-5.....out of warranty, with 82,000+ miles on her, what oil would you be using and why?

Thanks

Also, the owner's manual spec's M1 0W-40 and it has a 4 quart sump.

Any 0W-40 or 5W-40. Only reason is I've read here that Saab's tend to run better on slightly thicker oils, and I think the UOA's bear that out. Only 30-weight I would run is GC 0W-30. There are some really, really good extended UOA's on here for a Saab 900 on both M1 0W-40, and a mix of M1 0W-40 and 15W-50 from member 'Eiron'.

The new M1 TDT 5w40 seems to be getting rave reviews on the TDI forums.

Hey, I DO own a 9-5 out of warranty!

The 900 is a different animal oil wise than the 9-5. Right now I am running Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 10W30 but this is the only 30 weight I've run since a batch of Redline 5W30 about two years ago. I like to stay in the 40 range on mine, as do most other owners. I keep a list of good synths on a sticky-ed post over in the NG900/old 9-3 workshop at saabcentral.

If you are going cheap, go with Rotella T Synth 5W40. Otherwise, M1 Turbodiesel Truck, M1 High Mileage 10W40, and M1 0W40 are fairly available oils. Maybe the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 if you can find it? You have a 2004 so your sludge concerns should be reduced compared to earlier 9-5s. But I still don't think it's the best thing in the world to go too far over 5k miles between changes.

In the pricier category, a lot of owners run AMSOIL 5W40 Euro. Redline is also a consideration.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I never had the desire to own a Saab. The recommended oil is a great starting point.

So then why post here?

My saab has been amongst the best cars we own, with the best being MB diesels...

The 99-02 9-5's, 99-02 Viggens, and 2000-2002 9-3's were the sludger years. The PCV was finally revised on the 03 9-5 (and further still in 04) and the 9-3's went to the new body style w/ Ecotec engines in 03.

Since the mods that SAAB made to the later 9-5 couldn't be retrofitted to the earlier cars, SAAB released several update kits for the older systems. The final one, kit #6, has been out for a couple of years and seems to have largely rectified the situation. Otherwise, they are your typical Euro cars. Since GM has been very delinquent in allowing SAAB to replace the 9-5, the same basic car has been in service since MY 1999 and is pretty reliable. As for the 9-3's, there were some new model niggles but it, too, has become a fairly trouble-free car.

Thanks for everyone's advise and opinions...I'll probably stick with either M1 0W-40 or M1 5W-40. 5000 mile OCIs.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Don't have to do 5k OCI's with that high-quality of an oil - both will do 10k miles easily.

Not in a 9-5....

I also own a Saab 9-5, with 240,000 miles on the odometer!

I recommend use of a 5W/40 synthetic oil. I currently use TOTAL, but have used a lot of Mobil-1 and also some Shell Rotella-T during my ownership since new with this car.

Stick with the 5,000 mile OCI's for the 2.3 litre 4-cylinder, and avoid the 0W/40 Mobil-1, it is too thin for this engine.

I also recommend use of the larger oil filter, a Purolator PL20195, Motorcraft FL400S, or Mobil-1 M1-209.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I never had the desire to own a Saab. The recommended oil is a great starting point.

So then why post here?

My saab has been amongst the best cars we own, with the best being MB diesels...
A Question was asked If you owned a Saab which I answered .What oil would I run I answered! Was my answere for the oil too far off base? I could write a check for a late model Ferrari if I wanted one H,has nothing to do with Ferraris but I wouldn't buy one.

I run Total/Elf Quartz 9000 5W-40 in my 2004 Saab 9-5 AERO. You can purchase it at the Performance Oil Store (www.PerformanceOilStore.com). Great stuff!

Feff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back