VOA Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA of PP5W30 done by FluidLife (Brantford, Ontario lab), Jan 5, 2009. Fluidlife requires a sample of virgin oil to establish a baseline (zero) before they will do the oxidation/nitration/sulfation tests on a crankcase sample (which is why this analysis was done).

Silcon....2
Sodium....1
Iron......1
Boron.....75
Phos......784
Zinc......899
Calcium...3134
Magnesium.13
Moly......53
Lithium...2
40 degC cst...57.4
100 degC cst...10.11
Everything else not listed above was a 'zero'.

I never heard of them... I live close to Brantford... Good to know... Thanks for this info and the name of Fluid-Life

Really good lab. I've also used Wear Check in Burlington a lot in the past but I have issue with their method of testing and reporting oxidation/nitration/sulfation. FluidLife does it right. I've also split a sample and had it tested by both labs for comparison. They come out pretty much the same on the metals analysis. But they differ in other elements of the analysis. Fluidlife charge a lot of money for TBN, whereas WearCheck charge significantly less. But I've found the oxidation/nitration/sulfation analysis to be far more useful than TBN.

http://www.fluidlife.com Labs in Brantford, Ont and Edmonton, AB

va3ux, thanks for posting ...
thumbsup2.gif

Seems they've upped the amount of Boron in PP...used to be only 20-30, IIRC...looks good!

I wonder why they check for elements such as Lithium and not other exotics like Antimony or Titanium?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I wonder why they check for elements such as Lithium and not other exotics like Antimony or Titanium?

They do all of that. I didn't list them because they were all zero (ie. titanium, beryllium, vanadium, lithium, barium, silver, nickel, etc etc - all zero). I only listed the non-zero analytes.

Quote:
They do all of that. I didn't list them because they were all zero (ie. titanium, beryllium, vanadium, lithium, barium, silver, nickel, etc etc - all zero). I only listed the non-zero analytes.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
I didn't find a very recent VOA for US PP 5w30 so does anyone know if ours would be basically the same?

It's probably fairly safe to assume that this VOA also applies to the US product, since the jug says 'Made In USA'. However I did note that this is a Canadian VOA, just in case there is a different formulation for the Canadian market. I don't know that there is, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back