Importance of Engine Oil Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

http://www.strasseschweiz.ch/dcs/users/2/Buetehorn.pdf

This is a cool and recent presentation, IMO.

I note that API SM and ILAC GF-4 get pooh'd on when it is stated that recommended OCIs in export countries with high sulfur fuel are:
15.000 km / 1 yr with ACEA A3/B3-07 oils and 7.500 km / 1 yr with API SM / ILSAC GF-4 oils.

In Europe where the gasoline is "better" (less sulfur) and an oil meeting GM-LL-A-025 is used (Mobil 1 0W-40 meets this, BTW), recommended OCIs are 30.000 km / 1 yr.

This is the only document I've ever seen that describes the requirements of GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025.

The GM Global Engine Oil Specifications, GEOSA and GEOSB, are interesting since GEOSB exceeds ACEA C3-07 in most measures according to Slide 16.

Yeah, good stuff indeed.
Interesting on Bio-diesel, they say to reduce OCI by 30%.
Compared to Europe, US diesel was nothing to brag about to begin with. Maybe ULSD has narrowed the gap a bit.

Originally Posted By: JAG

In Europe where the gasoline is "better" (less sulfur) and an oil meeting GM-LL-A-025 is used (Mobil 1 0W-40 meets this, BTW), recommended OCIs are 30.000 km / 1 yr.

Those are the recommended OCIs for my Saab 93 in the USA (at least by the oil life monitor).

Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency established regulations to substantially lower the sulfur levels in gasoline in 2000.

Quote:
Where will low sulfur gasoline be used?
This is a nationwide program instituted by EPA. The new lower sulfur standards will be applied to all grades of gasoline. Gasoline stations, nationwide, will sell only low sulfur gasoline after January 1, 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back