PEAK Global Life Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I'm pretty sure PEAK coolants are silicate-free, while G-05 does have silicates (a small amount).

Due to this, I'm inclined to think G05 is HOAT and PEAK is OAT.

Reference: http://www.autostalk.com/382734-post15.html

There is Peak Lifetime which I believe is a OAT and Peak Global which is definitely a HOAT.

It certainly is very difficult to figure out all of Peak's products. Donald, if you go to Peak's website here:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

it states "PEAK Global® LifeTime™ Antifreeze & Coolant - Antigel/Réfrigerant features a patented, advanced organic acid technology" and "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"

I think that would make it closer to an OAT instead of a HOAT, unless I am missing something (which wouldn't be unusual).

OK, I stand corrected, Peak Global is an OAT antifreeze but without 2-EHA.

However to confuse things even more:
Q. Are all extended life OAT coolants the same?

No, there are hundreds of organic acids that can be used as corrosion inhibitors in extended life coolants. PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze uses a unique and patented inhibitor package to provide maximum cooling system protection and is the first extended life coolant that can be used in all automobiles worldwide.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Peak is all organic it is safe to use in a Honda or Toyota...

Is this a statement, or a question? Either way, the confusion about Peak Global Lifetime comes full circle. Lately, many here have been recommending Peak GL (an OAT) for Honda and Toyota (who's coolant contains phosphorous...a HOAT?).

So, the PEAK is a very unique "universal", serves all coolant, according to them.

Quote:
Lately, many here have been recommending Peak GL (an OAT) for Honda and Toyota (who's coolant contains phosphorous...a HOAT?).

You've mentioned an possible discrepancy I've also noticed. One might expect that using phosphate together with an organic acid would make antifreeze HOAT, but I've only seen that acronym used for antifreezes that contain silicate.

As far as using Peak Global in Asian vehicles, I use it in my Honda because I don't know of another aftermarket product that comes as close to OEM. It's organic acid, non 2EHA, and has no silicates. So far no issues.

fwiw, I used G-05 in my old CRV for 3-4 years.

afaik, Prestone "All Makes" has MB specs, shouldn't be silicated? I mean, MB believes in Si so strongly, they put a sack of them in the coolant tank to replenish it. So, it's a "patented" formula...is PEAK the same or different? I suspect the same.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Quote:
Lately, many here have been recommending Peak GL (an OAT) for Honda and Toyota (who's coolant contains phosphorous...a HOAT?).

You've mentioned an possible discrepancy I've also noticed. One might expect that using phosphate together with an organic acid would make antifreeze HOAT, but I've only seen that acronym used for antifreezes that contain silicate.

As far as using Peak Global in Asian vehicles, I use it in my Honda because I don't know of another aftermarket product that comes as close to OEM. It's organic acid, non 2EHA, and has no silicates. So far no issues.

Good call Pete. You are correct about the Japanese extended life coolants being OATS. I will join Donald in "standing corrected".

IN this this excellent article I have shared here many times:

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2822&location_id=2877

it states: "Honda and Toyota use a new extended-life OAT coolant-made with sebacate as the only organic acid-no 2-EHA. Sebacate isn't quite as effective in combating corrosion at lower pH levels, but because that's more of a cast-iron issue, it apparently didn't concern the Japanese. Both Honda and Toyota do continue to avoid silicates, but add a dose of phosphates to provide fast-acting aluminum protection, particularly to recoat the water pump after cavitation erosion/corrosion.

The article also points out that OATS use 2-EHA and/or Sebacate as the organic acid while G-05 HOAT uses benzoate as it's organic acid.

Too many details! I want the old days back, in spite of the "green snot of death".

I've has Peak Global in my wifes Accord for a few years (and 50K miles) now and have had absolutely no problems. I think its a great alternative to Honda's own stuff at a lower price.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Peak is all organic it is safe to use in a Honda or Toyota...

How about using the PGLT in a Nissan?

Originally Posted By: Donald
So could someone do a drain & fill of radiator on a yearly basis and refill with Peak Global regardless of what was in the system.

Definitely. At that frequency, you could use SuperTech which is a buck or two cheaper than Peak.

I think I'm pretty much set on yearly coolant changes because it's pretty easy to do and its relatively cheap (~$20).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back