Spec for oil for 2005 Acura MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through the owners manual for this vehicle and do not see where the spec is listed. They say it has to be API certified, but do not mention whether it should be SM or SL?

Don't they "recommend" 5W20 for that 3.5L engine? And since the 2005 came out before the SM-rated oils hit the shelves, I would think an SL would be fine in that engine.

What brand of oil and viscosity are you using?

Yes they suggest 5W20 for this engine. The oil has not yet been changed as the vehicle has only 2000 miles on it. I would have thought the manual would have stated SL, but it does not mention SL or SM or anything along those lines.

quote:

Originally posted by Donald:
Yes they suggest 5W20 for this engine. The oil has not yet been changed as the vehicle has only 2000 miles on it. I would have thought the manual would have stated SL, but it does not mention SL or SM or anything along those lines.

Does it say anything under the hood? I remember the info was on the air filter box on a couple of Integras I owned.

I guess they're assuming that you're going to use the latest 5W-20 starburst oil. There were 5W-20 oils in the past, but I think API SL is when they really became prevalent for Ford and Honda.

It says 5W20 by the oil fill, but thats all I could find. I have some Amsoil 7500 5W20 ready to go when it gets to 3700 miles. I must have bought the Amsoil 7500 oil a week or two before the reforumlated oil came out which is now SM, mine is SL.

You're good to go with the Amsoil you purchased. Use it knowing your engine won't know the difference.

And enjoy that MDX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back