What oil in your Mower and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking about how it will be near or over 100 degrees here in Texas in a few months. And being kind of new to the site am wondering what yall are running, or will be running in your mowers.

Just curious. But really, what do you have in there and why?
grin2.gif

In the old murray that is limited to snow plow duty, Rotella T Synth 5W40 with a Motorcraft FL400S filter. Why? Because I got the RTS for $0.
The new husquvarna gets a 55/45 blend of same RTS 5W40 and Rotella T 10W30. I'd guess this is probably a good blend 10W40. Also runs the FL400S filter... Why? Had left over RTS, but wasnt sure if it was enough, also was not sure if I just wanted to run the 10W30 straight in the summer. It didnt take me long to decide to blend it.
The snowblower gets German Castrol Syntec 0W30. These things have to start cold and deal with mositure, etc. Only the best. Does not even take a whole quart, so why not?

B&S qantum.

Was GC, then M1 0W-40, now Castrol Magnatec SP 5W-40.

Why ?

because water actively boils off the sump when I wash it down after mowing in summer.

GC, because my John Deere mower calls for a 5w30, and GC does everything a 5w30 does and then some. Also, I just "wanted to" use GC. Truth be told, and SAE30 (except non-detergent) oil would be all my mower would ever need.

Mobil 1 10W/30 in all my mowers for the last 15 years. Because it works and never lost a mower engine and none smoke.

Amsoil ACD. Straight 30wt that flows like a 10w-30, no VIIs, and a HD add pack for protection and cleanliness.

I change my oil and filters in the spring. I use GC 10w-30 and Wix filters in my John Deere because Tony said it was the best for the mower --- it is 10 years old and so far no problems. I wash it after every use and make sure the under part is as clean as possible. I mow at least an acre once a week during the season. Helen

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amsoil ACD. Straight 30wt that flows like a 10w-30, no VIIs, and a HD add pack for protection and cleanliness.

Esso XD-3 0w-30 PAO synthetic HDEO for similar reasons.

GC in the mower (GCV160) and edger (B&S), and 15-40 Delo in the pressure washer and generator (Robins).

Edit: I lied, i think I have PP in the edger now just cause it was handy.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0W20

Why?? That was the only kind of oil in the garage!!

Anyway, the craftsman lawnmower loves it.
Last year I started it at about 0 degrees F, just to see how the stuff turned over. No, you cannot mow snow, in case you were wondering.

Wow, I didn't expect to see so many fans of synthetics in their mowers.
I was thinking there would be more of a "Supertech 10w30 and leave it till next season, cause why not?" type of attitude. In previous posts it has been said, and it is my experience, that everything falls apart on the mower before the engine goes.

Interesting posts.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Wow, I didn't expect to see so many fans of synthetics in their mowers.
I was thinking there would be more of a "Supertech 10w30 and leave it till next season, cause why not?" type of attitude. In previous posts it has been said, and it is my experience, that everything falls apart on the mower before the engine goes.

Interesting posts.

Yeah, but this is BITOG. Oil overkill is the order of the day!

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Just thinking about how it will be near or over 100 degrees here in Texas in a few months. And being kind of new to the site am wondering what yall are running, or will be running in your mowers.

Just curious. But really, what do you have in there and why?
grin2.gif

I lived in Dallas for 40 years and am using the same mower in Wisconsin that I used in Dallas in 1967. My trusty 2-cycle Lawn Boy. I use 2-cycle oil mixed at 40:1

I use rotella 30 wt. Change once a year and it stays at the fill line all year with no consumption. Fantastic oil in a mower.

Last edited:
Rotella syn 5w-40.....why.....I use it in Bikes, ATV, Tractor and I always have it around. would store brand 30 wt work as well.....maybe.

My belief is that any decent xw-20 to xw-50 changed once a year for normal residential use will help the engine last long enough that everything will be falling off the mower before you have engine problems.

There's plenty of 10 year old briggs engines out there on the factory fill with top ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back