How good is pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used any pennzoil products before but i have heard from a veteran truch mechanic at my work that this stuff will clog up my engine. but i am sure that is just old news. Is this a good synthetic motor oil? does it conform well to API SM ratings?

Pennzoil makes some of the best readily available motor oils. They all meet API SM as far as i know, and many people(including myself) use Pennzoil Platinum.

A great oil at a fair price.

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
I have never used any pennzoil products before but i have heard from a veteran truch mechanic at my work that this stuff will clog up my engine. but i am sure that is just old news. Is this a good synthetic motor oil? does it conform well to API SM ratings?

That old Pennzoil thing doesn't apply anymore. He was talking about wax and such.

The next oil going in my Malibu is Pennzoil Platinum. I just changed the oil in two friends' cars and put in Pennzoil conventional (yellow bottle). Both friends said that oil works really well.

There are mechanics on this site that will tell you otherwise. What your friend told you is an old myth and does not apply to Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil makes some of the best conventional and synthetic oil out there. Do your car a favor and use it!

Everyone knows that Valvoline is the one that causes all the wax and sludge build up.

...or was it Quaker State???

Seriously, I've used Pennzoil since 1982 without the first oil related problem.

PP is in my C6 Corvette right now and I am confident that it is providng equal or better protection than the M1 factory fill.

grease_monkey,

Tell your friend to spend some time here.

As for PP, it's a forum favorite favorite - what else do you need to know?

A long long time ago, that was correct. We're talking about late 50's oil, which did leave a wax or parafin build up.
I don't think that's true of any of todays motor oils.

I change my 5-20 oil every 3 to 5K, and am used to seeing what Mobile 1 looks like at those miles. I'll be giving the Pennzoil Platinum a try next oil change.

Originally Posted By: y2k345
I`m useing it up here (Canada) in -35C weather and it makes one heck of a difference for starting in cold weather.

+2 for the Canada Cold Starting. Based on what I have read here it drove me to go and buy 14 jugs of it for my stash...

Last edited:
I use the pp 5W-30 in my 2001 Lexus RX (Toyota Highlander)w/98,000 miles. works very well. Also I get my best fuel millage on it.

I think it's a great oil. Use it and do a UOA and see what kind of results you get.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey

I recently switched my 88 E-150 which for most of its life probably, from 1990 on has used exclusively Mobil 1 10W-30. I made the switch to PP 5W-30. I am very pleased and sorry I didn't do it sooner. I think you'll be very happy with it. Have no fears about it clogging an engine, the vet mechanic heard rumors from many years ago that are just not true.

Also, there were no PCV systems in the late '50s and early '60s.
This was hugely responsible for engine sludge and internal deposit accumulation.

PP meets GM 4718m specs which very few synthetics do. You can run it in a Corvette or any other high performance GM vehicle in production. That says alot for it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back