Accord coolant change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
When should I change my wifes 2004 honda accord V6 fatory coolant. Manual calls for 10 years/120k miles then 5 years/60k miles thereafter..I just plan on draining and refilling when I change it with type 2 coolant...Is there a reason I should change it now? or wait 5 more years then change it,car has 30k miles. thanks for any help

Originally Posted By: stang5
Manual calls for 10 years/120k miles.

Change it in 2014 like the manual says or when it get 120k mi.

I do a drain & refill on our '02 every 30k miles. That way I shouldn't ever have to do a flush. It removes 4 qts through the radiator drain & cleaning the overflow bottle. I can remove 1 additional qt by loosening the bolt on the back of the block. You will want tubing to drain cleanly.

Just change it when you do the 105k service. There's no need to change it before then.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Put one probe in the cool coolant in the radiator neck and the other probe on the battery negative terminal.

If you read less than 0.5 volts DC, the corrosion inhibitors are still OK. If you're seeing 0.4 to 0.5 volts, it's time to start planning a flush and coolant renewal. New coolant will show about 0.1 volts.

The dissimilar metals plus the coolant acting as an electrolyte makes a galvanic cell that generates the voltage. As the corrosion inhibitors become depleted the voltage increases.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Mike,

True, if you do a complete changeout at 105k miles. If not, beware.

As long as you drain the radiator and block, you should be fine.

After the initial service at 120k, the service interval does get "halved," so the interval drops to 60k after the first service at 120k.

How do you completely drain the block?

There's a block drain plug.

That doesn't completely drain it - only 5 qts; engine overhaul requires 7.3 qts. You only change 68% of the coolant. Therefore, at even 175k miles there is still 2.3 qts of factory fill coolant in there.

That doesn't completely drain it - only 5 qts; engine overhaul requires 7.3 qts. You only change 68% of the coolant. Therefore, at even 175k miles there is still 2.3 qts of factory fill coolant in there.

That's why the service interval is cut in half after the initial service--you cannot drain all of the coolant out of the system when you follow the Honda approved method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back