API SJ versus SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they still made a ZDDP additive I would be dosing my oil with it, but they aren't available anymore from what I understand! Wish I had stocked up on it... I wouldn't just drive my car to my goal of 500,000km (300,000 miles), I would drive it double that! hehehe
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: momomeister
Originally Posted By: emaax
btw... API SM M1 0W40 has a good point... it keeps the engine very clean even if it is a high milleage one

the deposits simply float dissolved equaly in the oil...which is amazing they dont down fall down to the oil pan and acumulate in layers so easy...

so looks a good break-in oil - i would dare say - its a thin weak oil that does a good job at cleaning the engine

back to api SJ SM

SJ is better than SM

Same goes with SL versus SM?

yy ... and I found the good SL syntethics, still being more expensive than the SM's.
question pops up... why companys would do that..? isnt normaly, "what is more modern late generation", more expensive?

which is not the case of lots of SM's, they are a bit cheaper

indeed StevieC

well i found this... uups .. no pub allowed i supose

just google ZDDP additive .. first match in my broser... ZDDPlus™ something

and cool text they have there... uhmm

Originally Posted By: Nikola
Is there any known new high tech additive that replaces reduction of ZDDP in SM ?

yes there are a few mostly non metallic

But does anybody here knows anything about them. Because people are claiming serious things with insufficient info ..... For ex. general opinion is that SM oils are worse because of less ZDDP witch we CAN SEE and we don't know if there is something better to replace it and it is untraceable...

I am not questioning his knowledge I would just like to know which of those are used, most popular.... I know little about them but I would like to know more :)

Bruce or others may answer but a lot of these things are new technology and are kept "close to the vest" so often it is hard to get specific information.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If they still made a ZDDP additive I would be dosing my oil with it...

Google Cam-Shield.

I just changed my oil and added about an ounce of this stuff to the sump...
UOA to follow...

moly and boron are metalic but other things are being used.

organic polymers aswell as some Phosphates there are more in R+D

currently lower ZDDP is used with some new organic based additives.

We are looking at oils like on cheating... If I don't know anything about it, it never happened ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back