5oz of 2 cycle oil per 15-20 gallons good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Is there really any fuel system "lubrication" going on at these small dosages, or is this more of a placebo effect? Aren't the pumps and injectors designed to be lubricated by the gasoline?
Looks like 2 stroke engines go as thin as 100:1, so that would provide lubrication. Maybe I need to go 250:1. Yeah, fuel pump lubed by gasoline, which is kind of like lubing with water. The added oil may help and may show up in a fuel pump that does not go toast at 120,000 miles, who knows.

Don't know what ULEV is but my vehicles are '92, '95, and '00, and are nothing super high tech. All pushrod engnes. Had plenty of carbon in the Aerostar.

Let me know how the 250:1 mix works, you might feel a loss of power. 320:1 works out to 4 oz/10 gallon, I think 300:1 is about the most you can go w/o loss of power. Too much oil robs octane.

Frank D

Last edited:
I have been doing very well with the mileage in both of my 1995 towncars sig series one of which is nearing 240,000 original miles, in additional to my 3 Volvos (850,760,240), highest mileage 500,000 original miles (740 2.3 8 valve wagon), and still running. My towncars (4.6) are pushing 30.5 miles per gallon@55mph. 65-70 MPH gets me 25-27 mpg. The acceleration is so smooth. I use Shell V-power always (super), Penn Plat 10w-30 & NGK V-power copper plugs, to name a few. I have been using Lucas UCL for years, in addition to many others, however, within the past 3 years I have been using the Mercury Marine synthetic 2 cycle oil products that Walmart sells. I also use Pennzoil's full synthetic 2 cycle oil TWC-3 rated. I never use any general 2 cycle oil, because most fail to state that it is an ashless lubricant. The mineral version of Pennzoil 2 cycle tcw rated, is one such product. My general gas cost daily per 105 miles traveled roundtrip cost me about 10.50! I am considering going back to Amsoil products, and ordering their HP 2 cycle oil.What say you?

Best Regards

Last edited:
I'd say Amsoil products are fine and certainly worth a try. I tried their grease recently and was very pleased with it. I'm sure their TC oils are fine, just be sure its ashless and you're GTG. I like TCW3 and MMO,but that's just me.

Frank D

Thanks! Absolutely, ashless. A lot of the general mineral tcw-3 rated 2 cycle oils, seem not to be ashless lubricants. Synthetic versions don't appear to have this issue. I have used Amsoil products in the past for a number of years (excellent products). I will order some of their HP 2 cycle synthetic oil.

My interpretation was that to be TCW-3 rated it HAD to be ashless.
16.gif

Only driven 16 miles on it and that in the rain, so I did not have a chance to jump on it. Didn't notice anything bad so far.

What brands are yall using exactly?

I went to Walmart to check out 2 cycle oils. Kinda funny, I am the only guy I know who actually reads the backs of bottles. And the majority of the stuff there, including the "synthetic", was Marine 2 Cycle oil. But it said it was suitable for any gas engines.

What exactly are yall using? I am curious.

Remember that modern fuel has alcohol in it, which is far worse for lubrication than pure gasoline.
The reason TCW3 oil is recommended is because it is for water cooled 2 strokes, and regular lawn mower stuff is for air cooled. The TCW3 does not affect the octane as much as the air cooled stuff, and works better in the temperature ranges of water cooled applications.
So I use 2 stroke oil, Lucas UCL [when I feel rich - it is probably the best sauce to use for this] or MMO.
Cleaning and preventative wear, with a bit better sealing.

An old timer on the IFSJA site has used outboard oil in his fuel for ages. His hobby is driving an old Wagoneer from Texas to CO and taking it over the higher passes. It was his talking about it that got me started looking at BITOG

I think the addition of MMO, TCW3, or any UCL is a good idea especially with the winter blended fuels. I wonder if a steady diet of a top oil shows better wear #'s (Fe) in a UOA. I tried a search but gave up.

Frank D

Mercury Synthetic blend ashless TCW-3 rated 2 cycle oil, from Walmart. Some Walmarts may vary, but I opt for this particular brand over even Pennzoil. I do not do the regular 2 cycle, I always do the blend and or Full synthetic. Pennzoil Full synthetic would be a backup for Mercury Marine Synthetic blended ashless 2 cycle oil, for water cooled motors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back