How much slack in Transfer Case Chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a NP208F transfer case out of a '85 F150 that is done past the point of screaming for some TLC
27.gif
From what I can tell it stress cracked at some point and was a perpetual leaker.
Eventually had to run it in 4H with the hubs unlocked as it would not 'sound right' in 2H
spankme2.gif
It was not the daily driver so I was in no hurry to take it out for repair. Pictures of the Tcase

I wasn't planning on replacing the chain, but I wanted to get some opinions on the amount of slack there is in it - Slack Pic. Finding an overhaul kit has turned into a major undertaking as no one seems to have them in stock and different places have different amounts of stuff in what they call their 'complete' kits.

Slack too much? Are there specs for the slack - I have not been able to locate any specifics nor have I seen the innards of a case with a new chain. I have repaired the case crack - will have some pics posted of that later on. I stop drilled the crack to keep it from spreading and used an angle grinder to dig an angled channel along the crack and brazed it with some aluminum rod specific for dirty aluminum/magnesium alloys. Survives hammer blows, but will have to see if it holds up to the torque from my 302.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Mebbe apples and oranges , but the NP 229 chain sould only deflect about 1/2"

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable amount. Hate to drop more $$ for a chain on this beast.

They always seem loose.
If it is mated to the gears, and is otherwise in good shape, I'd leave it.
But you do have to check the links for slop. Each one.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
They always seem loose.

Good idea. So look for wear on the pins and such? Any idea on what would be considered a wear limit when looking at each link/pin? Or more of if things don't move off-axis it is good?

Due to the crack I would be scouting junk yards for a nice twin brother for that thing. That thing just looks tired.

Originally Posted By: mikey12
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
They always seem loose.

Good idea. So look for wear on the pins and such? Any idea on what would be considered a wear limit when looking at each link/pin? Or more of if things don't move off-axis it is good?

Write to New Venture gear in Syracuse NY they should have your specs. Or call them and ask for technical support.

If you can feel any looseness when push/pulling on the pins at each link, it is too loose/worn.
Well, OK... A very very little is alright.

But I did not thoroughly check out the case pictures. It may be transfer case time.

Originally Posted By: PT1
If you need parts look here: http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html#New Process Model 208

Yeah, but it's that $190 price tag that is telling me to use it as a last resort. National Drivetrain has the kit for $116 as do a couple other places. I currently have it on order at 4wheelparts (got 10% off) and it comes with the fork pads, at least it says. It's on 2-4 week backorder so I requested a detailed parts list, if they can get it. I have also heard that drivetrain uses Axiom kits with China bearings and the National kit uses Federal Mogul bearings, haven't verified for myself yet, though.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Due to the crack I would be scouting junk yards for a nice twin brother for that thing. That thing just looks tired.

Hard to find up here in Ohio, at least so far. I brazed the crack on both sides - pictures There are also pics of the chain as well. I haven't got the dremel on the weld yet to smooth and blend. Stop-drilled the crack and used an angle grinder to groove and taper it as best I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back