BG44K Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

Vehicle: 2003 VW GTI 1.8T Engine
Mileage: 113K miles
Purpose of additive use: Clean carbon from piston tops and clean injectors
Pre-Test Thickness/Coverage of Piston Tops' Carbon: Majority of piston tops' surfaces were covered with carbon with a thickness approximately equal to thickness of a penny. There were no areas of clean metal.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==--=-
Results: Approximately 50% of the piston tops' surfaces are now clean metal. The rest is a thin layer of carbon equal in thickness to one or a few pieces of paper. This means that the percent change in the volume of the carbon is much greater than 50% and that's what most matters. I have no idea how much injector cleaning occurred but considering how the piston tops cleaned up, I think that the injectors were cleaned too.

Conclusions: I am pleased with the results. Sure, I would have liked to see 100% clean metal on the pistons but the improvement I got was large. I bet that two treatments would make them almost completely clean.

I simply took the spark plugs out and looked down the holes while using a flash light.

I should clarify that the carbon thickness observations I made were only by "eye-balling it".

I'm interested. How does this compare to Seafoam, B12, MMO, etc..?

Google is telling me this is a can you pour into the gas tank, but I've seem some BG products that are run through a pump machine to clean carbon?

I can only compare this to FP+ which I used for several thousand miles...actually probably over 5K miles. The carbon on the pistons is what was there AFTER using FP+ so it did not "do the trick". I may experiment with higher than recommended doses of FP+ eventually.

BG44K that I used was in the metal can. BTW, what a pain not having a built-in neck like most bottled fuel treatments have.

JAG,

Thank you for writing up the results of your experiment for us to see.

How were you able to eyeball the initial thickness of carbon buildup before treatment? Was there raised writing on the piston crowns that helped?

I can see how, once some areas are cleaned off, one can eyeball it pretty well.

What dose did you use?

The initial thickness was eye-balled by scraping the deposits with a long metal rod.

The dosage I used was one bottled in a ~14 gallon tank (including the reserve).

I was hoping someone would pipe up, but since nobody has I'll ask:

For you experienced steam cleaners, haven't some of you done similar before and after comparisons? I wonder how the results compare to BG44K.

Obviously using BG44K involves less work, but more money, compared to hot water injection.

I got it at a VW dealership. Try searching online for BG distributors in your area...many of them will be places that also perform service work since the BG lineup also includes machine-powered flushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back