Recomendations for piston soak..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna do my first piston soak, clean out the pistons, chamber ect..ive read about people using marvel mystery oil, Berryman B 12, and regane as potentials... anyone have recomendations? And how much do i use? what is the procedure? LEt it sit 3 or 4 hours?

here's how I do my Saturn:

Pull the spark plugs out, pour a capfull or two of MMO or Seafoam down each hole. Let it sit overnight. Go out the next morning and bump the ignition and whatever fluid is left over will shoot its way back out of the chamber. Reinstall sparkplugs and crank the car up. Watch all the neighbors come out and marvel at the massive fog cloud that burns for about a half hour (maybe that's where MMO got its name?). Take it out on the road and give it a good Italian tune up. Sometime in the next few days I change the Spark plugs. I like to do that about once a year.

I use 2-cycle oil and any solvents I can find. I crank it with enough fluid to splash the valves, let it sit and then crank a few more times. Then do an intake cleaning.

WOW this sounds fun and interesting;) I want to use a solvent thats known for tearing carbon down to bare metal exposure...
so, thats is? just 2 capfulls? how abuot tablespoons? or 1/2 an oz?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I wanna do my first piston soak, clean out the pistons, chamber ect..ive read about people using marvel mystery oil, Berryman B 12, and regane as potentials... anyone have recomendations? And how much do i use? what is the procedure? LEt it sit 3 or 4 hours?

from my experience, the regane and mmo doesnt work without the heat (come from ignition), so soaking does not really help to clean carbon deposit on piston top.
for ring pack, oil flush or auto-rx will work to free it.

yeah, ive done distilled water through the brake booster line. i was told 24oz shold be more than sufficient..
How about using a quart of marvel mystery oil, in place of a quart of oil? or sucking MMO through the brake booster line?

ziggy - What is the purpose of the soak? A good cleaner in the gas tank will clean all sorts of things in addition to the combustion chamber and piston tops.
I am not a fan of any 'piston soak'.

yeah, ive done distilled water through the brake booster line. i was told 24oz shold be more than sufficient..
How about using a quart of marvel mystery oil, in place of a quart of oil? or sucking MMO through the brake booster line?

Was it hot? I had done it with cold water with no real results, but using hot water is what made it work.

Just something ive always wanted to try..ive read about others successes doing piston soaks..so was VERY curious to give it a whirl..
ah ok, i didnt use hot water!!! i had always et the brake booster line suck cold or at most, room temperature distilled water: (

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Was it hot? I had done it with cold water with no real results, but using hot water is what made it work.

I've done it with hot and cold water with no real results, though hot did seem to work a bit better than cold. Neither could compare with Seafoam or MMO.

Is that right, can MMO be sucked through the brake booster and clean the pistons, combustion chamber?

Originally Posted By: kingrob
I've done it with hot and cold water with no real results, though hot did seem to work a bit better than cold. Neither could compare with Seafoam or MMO.

Seafoam, MMO, B12, none of it worked that well for me.

Is that right, can MMO be sucked through the brake booster and clean the pistons, combustion chamber?

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you plan on replacing the spark plugs before long.

This i am aware of, replaceing the spark plugs... i have many of em stashed..so not worried about that.
so! One thinks MMO worked good, and the oother says it didnt..interesting..the water too..
anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back