Aussie Holden VT Commodore Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

What's the best oil to use in the Aussie Holden VT Commodore Oil 3.8 V6 engines?

I have found most people to be using 20w 50's, I thought I would see what people in the know are using or would recommend.

Francis

quote:

Originally posted by Francis:
Hi all.

What's the best oil to use in the Aussie Holden VT Commodore Oil 3.8 V6 engines?

I have found most people to be using 20w 50's, I thought I would see what people in the know are using or would recommend.

Francis

What does the manual state.

And no, 20w50 is not an alternative.

Hi,
you have already had expert and accurate advice. Castrol also recommended their XT1030 a 10w-30 ILSAC GF-2 mineral lubricant. This was their specified "low viscosity" oil

As mentioned by sprintman (a knowledgeable Ozzie) a 5w-40 viscosity oil is a good choice.

My Son uses Delvac 1 5w-40 in his VS V8 SS and a good friend uses the same in his VX XU6 - both use PureOne filters available from "autObarn".

Living in Brisbane, they do annual oil changes both covering about 20k kms

Regards
Doug

Hi.
We use Castrol FMX Magnatec 10w-30 for the last 4 years and no dramas.Holden recommending 10w-30 VS onwards for 3.8L engine.Had few oil leaks with 20w-50 and very low leaks with 10w-30.must be the low running pressure's with 10w-30 low viscosity oil.Yes 5w-40 is another good choice.
Try Castrol magnatec 5w-40SP.API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4

My 2000 Buick Regal, Series II 3800 V6, states 10W30 right on the oil fill cap. I had a good uoa with Mobil 1 10W-30 and should have one coming up soon with GC 0W-30.
grin.gif
My owners manual specifically states to not use other grades and specifically says not 20W-50.

I like this engine. I don't know if a 20W-50 will cause problems, probably not, but you will have sluggish performance and waste fuel. I tried Castrol 10W-40 Synthetic and it is a very light 40wt. It works.

Don't know why experience would be any different in OZ.
dunno.gif
I'd just say no to 20W-50.
nono.gif

These engines are very easy on oil and I think something like GC is a perfect match. Anything thicker is just not needed.

I don't think it's all about CAFE here on this one at all. I think GM isn't convinced on 10W-40 dino quality here due to past performance and 20W-50 is not needed. The manual suggests you may consider using a synthetic 5W-30 in extremely cold conditions. That wouldn't apply down under.

[ May 04, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

I've run all sorts of oil like sprintman, but currently running 5w-30 full synthetic in my 3800 motor.

Also seems that this motor is fairly prone to leaks from the inlet manifold. Oil first down the back of the motor then water.

Don't run 20w-50. D1 would be a good choice if you want a 40 grade.

New Holden 3.6 V6 recommending 5w-30 or 10w-30 API SL/GF3 rated engine oils.LS6 engine(6.0L) 5w-30 stamped on the oil filler cap. 5L40E 5speed auto 150000km service interval DEX 3H recommending.

theguru
Member # 1419

posted May 04, 2005 09:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You presume correctly.

Hello to TheGuru

I refer to your last post here, any update on how the Motul 300V 5w30 has performed in the 3800 engine in terms of mpg, power increase, engine smoothness etc.

Virginoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back