Best Gasoline Tank cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can easily Siphon at least 95% of the old gasoline for a tank that has been abused for over 10 years with 1/4 tank of gasoline left in it. (the fuel pump failed, and the previous owner was too cheap to fix).

The question is: what treatment do I add to clean the gunk out of the gasoline tank (not rust, thankfully) What specifically makes that treatment the best?

My opinion, take it or leave it.

First, buy 2 fuel filters. Change the old one out, put your favorite "fuel system cleaner" in there Amsoil, Gumout Regane, Marvel Mystery oil, or (starting flame war) Berryman's B-12 the list goes on and on.

There are threads you can look for on all these. Dont mix them, just put them in a nearly empty tank and fill up. Then drive till empty and refill using nothing but gas.

Then after 2-3 tanks have been through the new filter go ahead and change the filter again. If you really have terrible horrible no good very bad stuff in the tank the filter will catch all the stuff the fuel and cleaner do not dissolve and burn off, if not you are just playing the safety game.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Quest
POR-15 systems with marine-clean.

Q.

That's a bare metal cleaner for paint/coating prep. I think he is trying to dissolve lots of ancient petro related crud in the gas tank. Also, it doesn't sound like he has the tank off the car (the 95% siphon remark) so the residual marine clean would be a problem.

Not a good or safe idea to do this at home.

2 choices:

1. Most radiator shops offer the cleaning service

-OR-

2. Buy a new tank. The replacements are not expensive.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be the best idea. I will DEFINITELY use the other advice on non-terminal tanks. What happened. I chickened out as my previous "clean" out was a bust, and took the tank to a "boilout" service. After their boil-out, they pressure tested and found new leaks. Bummer. new tank it is!.

Thanks to all for your great advice, and especially for staying on topic!
Merry Christmas!!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: My442
Not a good or safe idea to do this at home.

2 choices:

1. Most radiator shops offer the cleaning service

-OR-

2. Buy a new tank. The replacements are not expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back