Gulf Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past month or so, Gulf-branded filling stations have sprouted up around me like weeds after a rain. I used to have one ancient Gulf station nearby, now all the Exxons have been converted (Gulf owns the Exxon retail trademark) and a number of independant stations are now Gulf.

Anyone know the quality of their gasoline? Decent, or just "meets EPA" run of the mill generic unleaded? Cumberland Farms licenses the Gulf trademark and just wholesales gas from their teminals, they no longer have any refineries. Gulf is around the same price as BP and Mobil in my area.

From their website Gulf Oil

"Today's car engines are built to use fuel efficiently, demanding more from the fuel that is put into them. That is why Gulf gasoline is formulated with Advent 21, our performance detergent additive. Advent 21 is specifically designed to reduce intake valve deposits. In fact, our gasolines surpass the toughest standards in the industry for deposit resistance.

Gulf gasolines keep critical engine parts clean and running at peak performance. And cleaner engines produce fewer harmful emissions, so you are helping to protect the environment, as well. Gulf gasoline meets your driving styles, engine requirements and budgets."

Can't help you now but many years ago in the days of leaded gas, Gulf was noted for leaving HEAVY lead oxide deposits all over the engine internals. Probably not enough dibromoethane to scavenge all the lead oxide. I have avoided this gasoline for over thirty years as a result. Maybe a dumb move but rather safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Can't help you now but many years ago in the days of leaded gas, Gulf was noted for leaving HEAVY lead oxide deposits all over the engine internals. Probably not enough dibromoethane to scavenge all the lead oxide. I have avoided this gasoline for over thirty years as a result. Maybe a dumb move but rather safe than sorry.

You speaks the trooth.

The Gulfs around here were feared like the Black Death and all went away in the seventies. Usually when I see one it's ancient and decrepit and off the highway somewhere in a secluded rural area.

Maybe Exxon is trying to revive interest in the name?

Gulf Oil Company merged with another California company to become Chevron Oil. Then Chevron merged with Texaco to become Chevron-Texaco, which now has Techron, which is supposed to be the best additive in gasoline, and all automobile manufacturers use the gasoline to pass the EPA Tests, according to Chevron.

From my understanding, Chevron still owns the Gulf trademark and licenses it to Cumberland Farms, but has nothing whatsoever to do with Gulf.

When Exxon and Mobil merged, they had to give up one retail brand (anti-trust stuff) and chose Mobil to keep.
Gulf(Cumberland Farms) bought the retail gas Exxon tradmark in the norteast with the stipulation that the Exxon brand must disappear by 2010.

So, Gulf has nothing to do with Chevron or Exxon, other than aquiring brand names. Comlicated stuff.

///
http://www.csdecisions.com/article/3751/verc-converting-exxon-stations-to-gulf-brand.html
Less than five years ago, Gulf acquired from ExxonMobil the exclusive rights to the Exxon brand name in all six New England states and New York, which will last through February 2010. After that, the Exxon brand is supposed to disappear from that region.

However, Gulf has decided to stop distributing the Exxon brand by February 2009, Petrowski said, and the company is currently asking independent retailers to switch immediately.

“The Exxon name would go dark (in New England),” Petrowski said. “So we figured why invest time and effort in developing (Exxon) when, frankly, we had a brand (Gulf) that was five times better?”

From Wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Oil

"BP, Chevron, Cumberland Farms and other companies that acquired former Gulf operations continued to use the Gulf name through the early 1990s. This caused consumer confusion in the US retail market as the parent companies would not accept each others' credit cards. All former Gulf stations franchised by BP and Chevron in the United States have since been converted to those names. Gulf Oil Limited Partnership ('GOLP'), based in Chelsea, Massachusetts (but has since moved to Newton, Massachusetts in 2007), has bought a license for North American rights to the Gulf brand from Chevron. Chevron still owns the Gulf brand, but as of 2006 was making almost no direct use of it. GOLP operates a distribution network reaching from Maine to Ohio. Most Gulf-branded filling stations in North America are owned by Cumberland Farms of Canton, Massachusetts, which owns a two-thirds interest in GOLP.[28] In addition there are some independently-owned franchises still operating under the Gulf brand within North America, such as the American Refining Group, which is licensed by Chevron to blend and distribute Gulf-branded lubricants.[29]"

I have ONE Gulf station near me, and EVERYONE avoids it. Theres a BP station right next to it. I know for a fact BP is a quality fuel. So I go with what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back