How Long Before I Notice Any Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. No, there had not been a sudden loss in performance or fuel economy prior to the treatment. I added the Redline SI-1 only for preventive maintenance purposes. The only thing that affected fuel economy is that ever since I replaced the upstream Oxygen Sensor with a Bosch OE style unit 6,000 miles ago, the fuel economy seems to be a bit better (and more consistent).

Normally, if you don't have problem, pouring a miracle elixir in your gas tank won't fix it.
grin2.gif

You mispilled year in your signature
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. No, there had not been a sudden loss in performance or fuel economy prior to the treatment. I added the Redline SI-1 only for preventive maintenance purposes. The only thing that affected fuel economy is that ever since I replaced the upstream Oxygen Sensor with a Bosch OE style unit 6,000 miles ago, the fuel economy seems to be a bit better (and more consistent).

Normally, if you don't have problem, pouring a miracle elixir in your gas tank won't fix it.
grin2.gif

wink.gif

You misspelled misspelled..
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Quote:

grin2.gif

wink.gif

grin2.gif

how very mori of you..bill
grin2.gif

Quote:

grin2.gif

wink.gif

grin2.gif

That's right! If there is nothing wrong, then there is nothing to fix.

Tank is done. 247 or so miles, 29.3 mpg.

Still no difference in driveability. The fuel economy is within 0.25 mpg of the last tank.

Did I waste my money? Maybe I did.

The injectors were probably clean to beging with, now they are supper clean. Try a dose of MMO in the gas, I'm willing to bet you'll notice a difference in idle quality.

Frank D

The Critic,

You may never notice any difference in your cars performance. I've never tried the product you mentioned but Techrom (I use) needs a good soaking time in my 89' Camry to clean the valves etc. to be effective. That may be the case for your car also. I'll bet the instructions say to add and then drive it til empty and perhaps a retreatment is necessary. I was told by another posting that the secret is to give the product a chance to soak inside the engine to clean the valves etc. up well. That way you don't have to use as much. In addition, your product has a nice additive "upper cylinder lube" so you may see some performance gain in that area later on.

In either case it good insurance to add it after every service on your car. What harm can it do.

Durango

I drove the car for the first time today in a week. The car did seem a bit stronger off-the-line but I can't tell for sure. It also seems to be a little bit quieter, but again I can't tell for sure.

I only burned through nine gallons of the "concentrated mix," so this current tank of fuel still has 4-5 oz of SI-1 in it. Remember, I dumped a full 15 ounce bottle into a 13 gallon tank. So perhaps the cleaning is still going on.

The Critic,

That slight premination you had about some performance gain could be the sign that the product is working to clean-up yur insides. Drive it a little more and allot it to soak it some more. If you are allowed you may have to redise the tank with another bottle. That's how it happened in my case.

Durango

The fixing a problem you don't have makes a lot of sense, but saying they don't do anything, because I haven't noticed anything doesn't make sense, since some cars get around driveability with the OBD-II. You just use more fuel or get throttle response lag.

I have treated some cars I bought used and some friends cars and the two that were a noticeable improvement in idle and throttle response, without changing anything else , were Redline SL-1 and Chevron Techron.

I can vouch that when there is nothing wrong and it is bad sensor, adding this stuff will not solve the problem.

The worse an engine is to start with, the more apparent any fuel and combustion chamber cleaner will help.
But once or twice a year [in the tank] of the Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, or Chevron Techron is smart.

The Critic-

My ex's '97 SL2 did not notice any difference whether I added BG44k, Techron Concentrate, or Gumout Regane. Sleep better at night knowing your injectors are clean and functioning properly.

The best performance gain in these cars is changing the ECTS sensor and cleaning out the TB every now and then.

BTW, you still shopping for a new ride?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Tank is done. 247 or so miles, 29.3 mpg.

Still no difference in driveability. The fuel economy is within 0.25 mpg of the last tank.

Did I waste my money? Maybe I did.

Yes. I doubt any of the chemicals on the market save for FP/FP60 and Techron Concentrate (not the non-concentrated product) have ANY real effect on the fuel system. While these products may perform some cleaning, they're not worth it.

Stick with the tried & true products. Welcome back to the ranch son! :)

I notice there is very little talk about Fuel Power.

Why did it go from being recommended by most.....to almost never even being mentioned at all ?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I notice there is very little talk about Fuel Power.

Why did it go from being recommended by most.....to almost never even being mentioned at all ?

I tried FP at Terry's recommendation after he reviewed a couple of my UOAs on my LT4 Corvette. No noticeable improvement in fuel economy, performance or driveability. I wrote it of as another worthless magic elixir and donated the last 1/2 gallon of it to my local hazardous waste dump. It wasn't worth the effort it took to pour some in my gas every fill up.

So far the only magic elixirs that have worked for me are Techron and ARx. Techron has cleared up minor low speed running problems in a couple of cars and ARx made a noticeable improvement in one out of three vehicles that I used it in.

Same here. I tried it 2 vehicles every tank and noticed nothing. (went through a gallon)

UOAs were the same, MPG and operation of the engine were the same.

I've got some LC20 also that I'd sell. Tried both on Terry's recommend.

Merry Christmas, Bill

I've noticed dramatic differences in driveability after using Redline SI-1. It's the only fuel system cleaner I do notice a difference with. I only notice a difference if it's been a few years and 10s of thousands of miles since the last time I've used it.

Last edited:
Same here. I tried it 2 vehicles every tank and noticed nothing. (went through a gallon)

UOAs were the same, MPG and operation of the engine were the same.

I've got some LC20 also that I'd sell. Tried both on Terry's recommend.

Merry Christmas, Bill

I also tried LC20 on his recommendation. Didn't bother to finish the gallon because it didn't seem to make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back