90k, what kind of additives should i be using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spawne32
everyone keeps suggesting autorx, what exactly is that?

Pure, distilled magic. Ask anybody.

I'd try the old Italian tune up first, though. Those are free and sometimes make a world of difference. If the car has had a soft life for some time maybe a good spirited drive is what it really needs, provided it is mechanically sound enough for it.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
http://www.auto-rx.com/

Probably the most effective oil additive ever developed.

Yup, right up there with slick 50, duralube, and Z max....plenty of great testimonials on all of them

smirk2.gif

Use nothing since it is not needed. The sludge issue is overblown outside of sellers of products.

My wifes Jetta was getting 25 mpg. I replaced the airfilter with a AFE Pro Dry, sparkplugs, wires, cap and rotor. Then did a AutoRx clean and rinse cycle...i was able to get 34. Mind you the car did have a tune up before, just sparkplugs if i remember correctly. I do add LUCL every fill up.

You're best bet is Amsoil PI - it cleans like a White Tornado.

Ask Pablo.

Techron or Regane would work.

Maybe it needs a new O2 sensor?

Your biggest source of fuel economy issues is driving style.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Techron or Regane would work.

Maybe it needs a new O2 sensor?

Your biggest source of fuel economy issues is driving style.

A lazy O2 sensor is what I would check first. Then check your plugs, wires, electronic coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Change to new fluid in the transmission and engine, preferably synthetic. Change your fuel filter if you have not yet done so. You can utilize all of the fuel injector cleaners mentioned above as well as Auto-RX in your engine as these will not harm anything.

Last edited:
I have a 97 neon dohc with 105k miles. About 30-50k miles ago I could get 23~mpg city use, now down to your 16-18mpg level, less in colder temps. o2 sensons should be changed every ~50k miles, and even if stiil putting out enough signal to not throw a trouble code they will get "slow" and mileage will suffer. Also worth a shot to check the MAP/IAT sensor in the intake manifold. A bad MAP sensor will nosedive mpg's. The sensor in mine and a lot of others I have checked get oil coated/fouled. Maybe this affects functionality. This sensor is two for one so is about 200-250$. The o2 sensor is a heated model and about 80$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back