Proud owner of two 91/30 Mosin Nagants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local sporting goods had them on sale for 79.99 a piece so I bought two. What a great old rifle. I still can't believe these little gems can be found in very good condition for well under a hundred bucks. They kick pretty hard, but I am very surprised at their accuracy, even with open sights.

The 2-91/30's and 2-440 round spam cans of 150 grain FMJ 80's Russian ammo cost me a grand total of 335 bucks including shipping of ammo. You can't beat that.

The two I got were made in 1942 in the Iszevsk Russian arsenal.

The ballistics of the 7.62x54R are similar to a .308 and I plan on using this old relic to hunt deer with next year.

Lucky you. The only way I see getting a gun like that would be to buy online. But I am still waiting for my handgun I bought about a month ago and online purchases are a PIA.

1. Great deal!

2. Clean like there's no tomorrow afer shooting that extremely corrosive import ammo (or for your bbl there may not be)!!!

3. get soft point/expanding sporting ammo to hunt with. Sellier & Beloit is a good choice.

Good Shooting!

Bob

Popular trick with locals with their SMLEs (did I mention that I shoot on the Australian test range for the SMLE and SLR L1A1 ?) when they shoot corrosive is to fill a pot with boiling water and soap, and "pump" the water back and forth in the barrel with a patch...heaps of times. Gets the barrel very hot.

Some rinse with a jug of boiling water down the chamber.

While I'd like a Lithgow SMLE, a Mosin Nagant would suit me fine also.

I got my first M-N around 2001 - was just some curiosity at a guns show and for $75 I bought it. I was amazed that is shot so well. Recoil was a tad high, but shot well. I cleaned it up real well and haven't shot it since. Might have to pull her out and fire a few more thru her!

GMB, If you shot gun show ammo and didn't clean as suggested by Shannow, you may be really disappointed! Commercial cleaners won't cut the corrosive salts.

Bob

Thanks for all the replies guys. The 880 rounds in spam cans showed up on the door step today, and it looks like good stuff. It is corrosive and is stamped with a manufacture date of 1981, which from what I have heard is considered far from being old ammo wise.

I will definitely be sure to clean thoroughly after using that corrosive ammo. I have never used ammo that is that way, so I will learn some new cleaning tips.

Currently I am checking out scope mounting options for next year's deer hunt.

I'll keep you guys updated and will post pictures of the guns and targets when I go to the range this week.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
1. Great deal!

2. Clean like there's no tomorrow afer shooting that extremely corrosive import ammo (or for your bbl there may not be)!!!

3. get soft point/expanding sporting ammo to hunt with. Sellier & Beloit is a good choice.

Good Shooting!

Bob

I will definitely get some good soft point like S&B for hunting. The FMJ stuff was dirt cheap and will just be for plinking.

Just a bit of trivia, these fire the 7.62X54R (rimmed), the AK/SKS's are 7.62X39. The US/Nato round originally speced for the M14 was called 7.62X51 Nato (.308Win commerial). All listed as 7.62mm,, BUT actual diameter of Russian is .311" the US/NATO round is .308" dia.

Excellent hunting ammo can be "handloaded" by pulling (using approved methods) the original bullet, then seating a proper size, AND WEIGHT!!!! expanding bullet.

Bob

Bob, the same for the .303 (bore diameter, rather than groove diameter).

The wildcatters down here had .303/22, .303/25, .303/260 etc.etc.

They bought ex military cordite loaded ammo, deloused them, ran the primed cases through the sizing die, then returned a reduced number of cordite strands to get the pressures that they wanted.

Forward "scout" mounts are available for these rifles, and a lot of people like them. I have a scout setup on my M1916 Mauser, and it handles quite nicely. Just be sure you select the correct scope for the job. My mount was so far forward that I needed a pistol scope, but some mounts aren't as far forward and require a special long eye relief/scout scope.

You mean like MY mosin?
014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back