Husky snow blower engine locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend called today said his snowblower new from last season with only 3 hours on it was blowing oil out the carb area. Went over after work and noticed the dip stick was reading high on the oil level. So we dumped the oil that was pretty dirty and topped it off with Valvoline 5w30. Started engine no oil blowing out but the throttle was stuck on high rmp,proberly gumed with varnish. Anyway before we could shut it off there was a loud noise no equipment owner wants to hear and the engine stoped. I'm guessing that the engine was not over filled with oil but that he left gas in the thank and the needle must have stuck and let gas into the oil? Is there any way I could tell if this is what happened?

Overfilling oil can actually starve the engine as it foams and froths. You need a nice splashing!

Hope that's not the problem.

Have him pull the spark plug and look into the hole with a flashlight. Try to look in while someone else slowly pulls the machine over. If it still turns, he probably holed a piston and the damage may be visible.

If it doesn't, I'm guessing the rod broke.

When I've seen that happen on engines, there is a lot of gas in the oil. Just smell the oil. If that's what happened there is probably more than enough to smell it.

Or dip a screwdriver in the oil and (far away from anything flammable) touch a lighter to it. If there's much gas in it, it should burn.

I drained the oil in a downey container it does not smell like gas but does have a spring fresh sent. I put some oil in a bear bottle cap and tried to light it 5 times with no luck.My friend said that he never put any oil in it just what was in there when he got it. I would say that when I checked it the oil level reading was twice as high as the full mark and that was after he ran it and oil was blowing out of the machine.
Also the engine will not turn over at all with the pull start.This is also the flat head tecumseh engine not sure if that matters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back