Times are tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DesertDually
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

those carnicerias are all over the place down here. Something about those joints kinda scares me... Generally they look pretty grungy. I can do without a tapeworm.

yeah, that got my attention

Make sure to order your carnitas thoroughly cooked.

We use a "real" butcher shop. There are a few still around as many people still raise and sell beef and chicken to sell locally here. They slaughter, cut, and package your animals or you can buy what they have available. We buy alot of dog food from them too, chicken backs, ground organs and scraps, etc. Far cheaper than decent store bought dry food and much healthier.

We normally butcher our own chickens and did our own deer this fall. It's not too hard and you definetly appreciate what you are eating for dinner more, as it was walking around the yard that morning.
Ian

The organic butchers are booming, my closest put the local non-organic butcher out of business. The farmers markets with multiple organic meat suppliers, not to mention organic everything you can think of can't keep up with demand. Organic home dlivery booming. Yes more and more Aussies want the best, where as Americans just want cheap. Food wise we live in very very different countries.

At our grocery stores around here for the past... maybe 5 or so years there have been steadily growing organic sections that stay well stocked. I wouldn't make the blanket statement that we 'just want cheap.' I do, but I'm more of a coca-cola-and-cheezburger-with-msg American than some. I've even made the mistake of occasionally picking up an organic product because it didn't say 'organic' on the label very big. It was a mistake because the price was high.

Organic foods have been gaining marketshare in the US for some time now, check the facts:
http://www.ota.com/pics/documents/short overview MMS.pdf

I had some grass fed only beef in ground form that I made last night, and everything about it, the texture, taste, leanness,
now that is what beef is supposed to taste like. Reminded me of when I was a kid and liked ground beef. I guess it was easier to get good meat back then, when you could get meat.

Even with the high price I may never go back to feed lot-corn fed processed beef again. I'll just not eat as much, not that I each beef all that much to begin with.

You live in Texas and have only now had decent beef? It boggles the mind. All that Texas has is good beef and sour cream (besides Big Bend National Park). Next you must try bison.

In my small hometown the meatcutters from the local grocery that closed down started a butcher shop. Top notch meats, sausages, etc. When your whole business depends on one type of product, it has a to be quality.

Wow this thread shifted way off topic, this would be more home in the food section.

In my small hometown the meatcutters from the local grocery that closed down started a butcher shop. Top notch meats, sausages, etc. When your whole business depends on one type of product, it has to be quality.

Wow this thread shifted way off topic, this would be more at home in the food section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back