Can UCL reduce injector noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can an upper cylinder lubricant (UCL) such as lucas or redline fuel additive reduce injector noise?

I have what I believe is a random and ocassional injector clicking noise at warm/hot idle. It often happens after idling after 30 seconds or so.

Could also be lifter leakdown. Car is a 6 cylinder BMW overhead cam M50Tu engine with 163,000 miles. Liftrs are not adjustble.

Last edited:
It might help. Only one way to see. . . . .

I would use the Redline to see if it works. If it dose not sure the noise, atleast you have cleaned up some of your fuel system.

UCL all by itself didn't work for me. I then used Regane and the noise went away. I now regularly use MMO and the noise has never returned.

I was using Lucas UCL on every tankfull of fuel(as/per directions) prior to even having the injector ticking. Got cold out one day last Oct'07 and the injector started ticking. Kept using the Lucas UCL and the ticking never went away until I used the Regane. Ticking went away during the tankfull of gas with Regane.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I was using Lucas UCL on every tankfull of fuel(as/per directions) prior to even having the injector ticking. Got cold out one day last Oct'07 and the injector started ticking. Kept using the Lucas UCL and the ticking never went away until I used the Regane. Ticking went away during the tankfull of gas with Regane.

Thanks,
I will try to find some Regane. It is hit or miss in my area. BTW, I could barely hear the clicking last evening in my garage. It seems almost random.

Last edited:
The solvents in the fuel adds most likely removed a piece of debris that was blocking the seating of the pintle.

Guys, thanks for the info. Will watch for a few days. I added the lucas injector cleaner. I also found regane at a new Walmart. Will try it later after a couple of tanks with lucas.

Whether or not it does any good at reducing injector noise, I'm a sucker for Lucal UCL. I just picked up a new BIG bottle at W-M, and added a generous amount to a fill-up yesterday. Lucas UCL always makes the idle more smooth on my GTI. I can't explain the science behind it.

When I can find Lucas UCL for $25 or less per gallon I plan on buying some more. my car got the best fuel mileage ever when running 2oz/10gal of UCL.

I have gotten as high as 32 MPG in my 1996 Vette when using Lucas UCL and crusing in 6th gear.

I know every once in a while, Advance Auto Parts has a sale on all Lucas products.

I've used both Redline and Lucas in a couple different cars and I have never noticed any difference in injector noise.
When AAP had a closeout on Redline for $1.99 , I stocked up big time. I think Redline does a better job at cleaning, but won't bump up the gas mileage like Lucas.

Picture331.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back