amsoil or royal purple 15w40 for a 06 cummins 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Its funny, because everytime someone ask the question "Should I get oil A or B", half the people say A the other half B with a couple pointers here and there.

Yep, thats the whole point of asking. Finding out what other people personally would suggest.

So many people so many oils.

Aww, c'mon....MOBIL 1 is a TERRIBLE choice.....discuss
35.gif

It's only 1/4 as good as Valvoline Synpower
18.gif
-seriously, with any Cummins, especially in a Dodge, ANY diesel oil with the correct specs, changed on a regular basis-the engine will outlast the truck easily! Personally, I'm a fan of Delvac 1, but unless you run BIG miles, with bypass & regular UOAs, or you live in Siberia or the Yukon I personally can't justify the expense, especially with Amsoil, gotta be at least a $150 oil change, vs. $35-40 with a quality dino DEO such as Delo 400 or Rotella 15W40.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It's only 1/4 as good as Valvoline Synpower
18.gif
-seriously, with any Cummins, especially in a Dodge, ANY diesel oil with the correct specs, changed on a regular basis-the engine will outlast the truck easily! Personally, I'm a fan of Delvac 1, but unless you run BIG miles, with bypass & regular UOAs, or you live in Siberia or the Yukon I personally can't justify the expense, especially with Amsoil, gotta be at least a $150 oil change, vs. $35-40 with a quality dino DEO such as Delo 400 or Rotella 15W40.

Exactly...more than one Cummins with over a million miles on regular dino...

Running a synthetic is more/less a personal choice, not an absolute requirement.

My last change with Amsoil included the following....

2 Bypass Filters and three gallons of AME 15w-40 came to $126 and change, but I do longer intervals. My last one was 24k miles and I changed only due to high silica counts. Oil still had a TBN of 7.5 and was completely suitable for use. If it were not for the high count, I would have kept it going. With the Cummins, any reputable Dino will do more than fine. Valvoline Premium Blue Dino is what I used in my 2001 Dodge and got 380,000 miles before trading it in for a newer truck. It had no engine problems or any other problems for that matter. Don't run synthetic unless you want to go the distance on longer OCI's. It just isn't worth it. Hope this helps.

In addition to the dino/synthetic discussion, many "synthetic" oils out there aren't really synthetic anyways...
Including the one I currently use.
LOL.gif
thankyou2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back