How do you dispose of your used oil bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you dispose of your ysed oil bottles? Recycle, throw in garbage? If you recycle with your plastic do you clean the oil out ot the bottles and where does that small amoumt of oil go? On the ground, down the drain etc.

I tape them upside down to the jug I put the used oil in until they drip as dry as I can get. Then they go in the recycling bin.

John

I asked the village where I live, and they said drain as dry as possible and then "trash them, not recycle"!

I put'em in the recycle bin anyway...to try and get tthe point across that they should be re-cycled....

So they go into the land fills forever! That would be a lot of bottles. There needs to be drop off places, to gather up all oil bottles for special recycling.

Rumor has it that Amsoil has new organic bottles coming that will decompose and turn into fertilizer and will make your garden and grass grow greener, taste better and save the planet.
Amsoil - The first in organic bottles!

I try to buy oil in gallon bottles, so that I can use them easily as waste jugs.

For quarts, Ill drain them as much as possible then stick them into the recycling. What they decide is their deal - if they gave guidance that they HAD to be put into the trash, Id do so.

No car of ours takes an evan amount of oil, so our quarts are either partials and saved, or used to take up the excess that won't fit in the gallon jug. I just did that the other day with a M1 bottle. Back to the oil collector it goes!

Put 'em in a plastic bag and take 'em, along with the old oil, to pep boys for disposal.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Put 'em in a plastic bag and take 'em, along with the old oil, to pep boys for disposal.

And then they throw them in the trash.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I put'em in the recycle bin anyway...to try and get tthe point across that they should be re-cycled....

Have you asked to make sure that's okay? I'm hoping your oily bottles aren't contaminating a batch of good recyleable. plastic.

When I take my used oil to the county recycling center they have a dumpster to put the containers in after you empty them. What they do with them I have no idea
21.gif

Whimsey

We have a county wide mass burn incinerator designed to burn plastics, etc. That is where mine go...in the trash and on into the municipal incinerator.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I try to buy oil in gallon bottles, so that I can use them easily as waste jugs.

Me too. Every time I drain bottles, I put them in the recycle bin. The workers take everything else, and leave the bottles at the curb....
smirk2.gif

I have a big funnel, turn them upside down and pour them into one container, then pour that into the engine. You'd be surprised how much oil comes out if you let them sit upside down for a day. Then the empties get recycled.

Frank D

My city is very good at recycling all sorts of stuff, and from what I know they will grind it in a machine and remove a bit more oil. Then it is recycled (with other oil bottles only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back