Milk Smelling & Tasting Wormy from Wal-Mart !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
The two of us terminate a gallon in about 5 to 6 days. Neither of us drink plain milk. It all goes into coffee, tea, and hot cocoa, and it is used for baking.

Some brands taste iffy. I miss UHT long shelf life milk. I prefer its taste over "fresh" milk. Seems totally unavailable and even unknown locally. Borden makes it in the US. Comes in a convenient tetra pak.

i grew up on boxed milk, love the taste, and am trying to convert the missus to it. plus, you'll never buy an off one!

I actually like milk from the Farm Fresh store here. You can still get it in glass 1/2 gallons and carry it home in the steel carry basket.

There is something about milk in those glass bottles compared to the plastic jug.

Dean Foods advertises keeping milk in the dark, as UV light supposedly degrades milk. Perhaps those paper 1/2 gallon cartons are better than the plastic jugs.

I drink a lot of milk, we easily go through 1 gallon each day. I've switched to skim as I'd be 400# if I even drank 2%

On occasion I get a pint of whole milk to enjoy :)

I heard on the radio today that most claims for vitamins preventing cancer or heart disease are proving to be false. The exception? Vitamin D.

So drink your milk, it's good for you.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
we go through maybe 1 1/2gal a week (what else are you going to have w/ cereal?).

The children have cereal probably 4 days a week, dry mostly, milk maybe once a week. Mum has fruit juice on hers. Rest of us don't eat cereal.

I had UHT milk when I was in Germany. Hated it.

Had I grown up with it, I'd probably enjoy it, as you become accustomed to what you had growing up.

I'll suffer through the occasional bad carton of fresh milk instead of knowing my UHT milk will always be good.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Dean Foods advertises keeping milk in the dark, as UV light supposedly degrades milk. Perhaps those paper 1/2 gallon cartons are better than the plastic jugs.

I love that...
LOL.gif

Wonder how much UV gets into the refrigerator? Who leaves the light on in there and last time I checked, no UV in a 25watt bulb..
grin2.gif

I think plastic is better as milk in the jugs last longer due to airtight seal IMO.

Plus you full the gallon milk jug with water and produce one of the best targets!
48.gif

Nothing beats a milk jug getting hit..
39.gif

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I had UHT milk when I was in Germany. Hated it.

Had I grown up with it, I'd probably enjoy it, as you become accustomed to what you had growing up.

I'll suffer through the occasional bad carton of fresh milk instead of knowing my UHT milk will always be good.

I don't know when you had UHT milk in Germany; in the '50s, '60, or '70s? I didn't grow up on UHT milk. I have preferred UHT milk as long as I can remember. Fresh milk to me tastes like cow pies smell. To me, UHT milk has a milder flavor and a more creamy texture (It's considerably more homogenized than fresh milk). The worst I ever had was fresh raw milk. It's a nasty slurry, really. Ack!

I got some horrible tasting Beatrice brand milk the other day from a convenience store. I dumped it after trying it in cereal. I don't even know how to describe the taste, but it didn't seem natural.

I had also stopped buying Lucerne milk because it starts to taste a little rotten - similar to how cream smells - well before the expiry date. I don't think it's actually rotten because my buddy thinks it still tastes fine at that point.

I typically drink Dairyland and Foremost milk.

I have been having problems with Aldi's milk lately.

Tastes terrible, I can barely get it down, and its very fresh also.

I have better luck with Wegmans or Tops milk here.

I have never bought the paper carton of milk, I might take that into consideration.

I haven't seen glass jugs of milk anywhere ever since I was a kid..

You might want to check out and see if Traders Point milk is sold in your area. By far the best milk that can be bought in stores. I's in a glass bottle so no funny plastic tastes. It's also grass fed and stuff.

I myself prefer non-pasteurized milk that I buy for my cats.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I had also stopped buying Lucerne milk because it starts to taste a little rotten

Interesting, Lucerne is popular here. I can't drink that just because of its smell. Usually I buy Horizon.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

You really shouldn't give your cats any cow's milk.

As for consuming unpasteurized milk, you are bolder than I am.
wink.gif

wink.gif

It's really good stuff and lasts longer than the milk from stores.

You might want to check out and see if Traders Point milk is sold in your area. By far the best milk that can be bought in stores. I's in a glass bottle so no funny plastic tastes. It's also grass fed and stuff.

Oberweis's milk that I buy now has grass fed cows and comes in glass bottles.

There's an 85 Cent deposit when I buy it from Target.

wink.gif

It's really good stuff and lasts longer than the milk from stores.

How long do your cats last? 10 to 12 years?

Just found out I can get non-pasteurized milk locally.

Anyone drink that? Comments?

If you've got any sort of reasonable immune (and a good, honest clean supplier), then go for it.

Still don't get the huge consumption of milk...it's not natural.

Children were breast fed until they weaned themselves.

I would really, really be sure before I drank non-pasteurized milk. It's illegal to sell in many places for a good reason. I'd never offer it to children or the elderly anyway. Don't get it confused with 'organic' or whatever else, it's a safety precaution that is left out of processing for no reason except marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back