Valvoline vs Mobil 1 - Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.jobbersworld.com/December 11, 2008.htm

Quote:
Rather than backing down, Valvoline is holding its ground, and turns up the heat.

Marketers say the received a letter from Valvoline providing additional information and data to support Valvoline SynPower's significant performance advantage versus Mobil 1. In addition, marketers say the letter turns the table on ExxonMobil's challenge and Valvoline is now challenging ExxonMobil's claim for its Mobil 1 5W-30.

According to the letter, Valvoline says the company conducted a number of tests and commissioned an independent laboratory to evaluate the performance of SynPower and Mobil 1 in the Sequence IVA wear test. Marketers were told the tests were run on a 5W-30 since it's the top selling grade.

Now for the interesting part...

According to a letter Valvoline marketers received, the result from Valvoline's testing indicate:

* Valvoline SynPower's 5W-30 wear performance is at least four times better than Mobil 1 5W-30
* Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specification because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA wear test

The letter reportedly goes on to say that Valvoline notified ExxonMobil of the failed test results in September and that the company take appropriate action regarding their claim that Mobil 1 meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications, or provide substantiation that they in fact meet these specifications.

As of today, Valvoline told JobbersWorld, ExxonMobil has been silent.

Gutsy.

Can you say BITOG oil wars go mainstream??
LOL.gif

I don't think Valvoline would push it that far if it weren't true. Mobil will lose even further credibility with people if it is true.

just bought some Valvoline 10w-30 conventional this morning... and have some durablend 10w-30 waiting...
I'm over mobil!

WOW!!!!

Seems odd that in septhember Mobil 1 was sent the letter, and that was about the time hurrican "Ike" knocked out there base oil plant.
LOL

I am sure Mobil 1 passes API SM. Perhaps, pending we see this data, not as well as Valvoline.

Intresting they do not go after Pennzoil. Perhaps the Pennzoil Platnium is a little to good for them to attack. . . . .

Quote:
Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specification because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA wear test

This is the best part. Seq IVA is a tough valvetrain test that replicates taxi cab type service.

Yes, but it's the fact that Mobil 1 has always been the "gold standard" of synthetics, it would put a dent in their integrity.

I'm surprised Mobil hasn't defended its position, I anxiously wait. Interesting they only singled out 5W-30, it has to be more than just popularity............ From what I've read and heard 10W-30 was the most popular grade.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
WOW!!!!

Intresting they do not go after Pennzoil. Perhaps the Pennzoil Platnium is a little to good for them to attack. . . . .

Agreed...I think PP meets some impressive specs for "only" being mostly a grp III.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the full makeup of PP is?

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Or perhaps it's stupid to attack a bit player instead of the deficient overdog that doesn't even meet spec.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't think Valvoline would push it that far if it weren't true. Mobil will lose even further credibility with people if it is true.
I've seen alot of people get sold a "bill of goods" over the years and you would swear they were telling the truth. So, I put no bearing of "truth" on anything just because a company pushes it.

Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Originally Posted By: buster
I've seen alot of people get sold a "bill of goods" over the years and you would swear they were telling the truth. So, I put no bearing of "truth" on anything just because a company pushes it.

Agreed.

Look how many car companies claim to be "the best"
grin2.gif

The claim is not surprising, I have stopped putting M1 5w-30 for long OCI because it always failed my personal startup hearing test after 5K. Still trying with the EP version one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back