Milk Smelling & Tasting Wormy from Wal-Mart !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gallon jugs of milk I have been getting from Wal-Mart has been having a "wormy smell & taste" to it.

The expiration is 12/21, so it is not old and this has been this way for quite a while.

Anyone else notice this...???

I bought a couple of Oberweis 1/2 gallon glass jugs. Wow - no bad smell or taste...

Explain.......

How does your milk smell/taste down there??

Like milk I guess.

But we buy it by the litre, and use maybe one of those a week for a family of 4...what would you do with a gallon of the stuff before it went off ?

I love milk too. We go thru a gallon a day.

I had a similar issue from a store here. I had always bought milk there as they do their own and then all of a sudden the milk had a bad taste. I tried multiple times to buy milk there and finally gave up.

I thought it might have to do with a change in milk jug plastic or something making it taste that way.

The two of us terminate a gallon in about 5 to 6 days. Neither of us drink plain milk. It all goes into coffee, tea, and hot cocoa, and it is used for baking.

Some brands taste iffy. I miss UHT long shelf life milk. I prefer its taste over "fresh" milk. Seems totally unavailable and even unknown locally. Borden makes it in the US. Comes in a convenient tetra pak.

More thinking on tpitcher's OP, and my last post.

Maybe they've found something else to feed the cows that allows them to continue living and producing milk, that's flavouring it somehow.

There was a big stink down here a couple decades ago when they found that they could feed cattle on cotton trash...started introducing nasty pesticides into the milk and meat chain.

Maybe they milk technically dead cows now.
37.gif

The best milk I've tasted came from cows feeding on Alpine meadows. Second best was from cows that were eating mostly clover. UHT milk is very popular in Germany. The low fat versions taste best. Never tried UHT milk in the US.

Just send me one female bovine with a giant utter, and I'm all set!
LOL.gif

Best milk I've tasted was from the cows we milked in Grade 6 Riverena trip...best orange juice too.

It's still only as recently as 23 years ago that the milko used to drop off the foil capped glass bottles with 1/4" of cream at the top.

Mori, your utterances require you to go see one of Peter Jackson's early puppet movies.

Oh that. Sorry, I was udderly at fault. At leeSt eye didnt goh haM salAd on yoo!!!
LOL.gif

Don't remember The Feebles ...

LOL, all of them omega 3s and stuff.

edit...haven't had a store bought egg for nearly 6 months. They're covered in fowl excrement, and thoroughly fresh. Some of the shells are even blue (bantam parents)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Like milk I guess.

But we buy it by the litre, and use maybe one of those a week for a family of 4...what would you do with a gallon of the stuff before it went off ?

There are three of us in our house and we go through almost 8L of milk a week! (we buy it in 4L jugs)

Seriously, what do you do with all that milk ?

Bathe in it ?

We use it in milk drinks for the children when they ask for it, mashed potato, and bechamel.

Two rules:

1) Never, ever buy milk in plastic
2) Never, ever buy any food item at WalMart (especially Milk!)

Milk is a local commodity which has a number of variables. Looks like you found one in your area with good taste qualities. It's a trial and error thing. Make sure you get the BGH free stuff without antibiotics if you can't find a good tasting organic label.

Sheesh didn't you learn anything from Napoleon Dynamite?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Seriously, what do you do with all that milk ?

Bathe in it ?

We use it in milk drinks for the children when they ask for it, mashed potato, and bechamel.

I'm just glad I didn't mention my sour cream consumption.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back